Thread: Powers of Mind

Powers of Mind

The above-titled book took a tour of healing practices that were prevalent in the last century. I found it useful and important. There are so many ancient modalities being revived today - some are cults like EST or the no-pee philosophy of Werner Erhard. He wanted 'my twin' who was born the same day as me but a full astrological cycle older (and who I decreed into my life) to be one of his top teachers even though she had never taken his course. She was no dummy. In fact she had an agent arranging speaking engagements of up to 15,000 people dealing with the hot topic of stress reduction. She had a doctorate in Psychology and an MBA. In fact she never really got over many fears she had but just masked them in bravado - which is what EST was all about and therapy is repetitive habit training. I wrote a book about "US" called Doing Right From the Wrong Side. She was born a poor white trailer trash girl in California's Inland Empire; and a movie could easily make her into a modern day Saint.

I find a lot of lonely people seeking for success are easily caught in cults. I put this link here to act as a guide.

http://www.bodyandmind.co.za/merchan...pid=712&step=4

Mind-fogging was one art employed by Anton Mesmer and I think many healer/fakirs as well. That does not mean I think Mesmer was a fakir - I think scientists of his era were.

We have mention of many good historical references including Anton Mesmer in this site.

http://www.daltonsbio.com/energy-healing-information

I highly recommend Logotherapy and everyone should read Viktor E. Frankl's simple little book which he wrote while in a concentration camp. It is titled Man's Search For Meaning. This site shows a mercenary success can be had by taking a course to get a degree in these arts. I hope people would prefer to go to the University of Wisconsin where further work on Logotherapy was done if that is their desired career path.

http://holisto.com/therapist-listing...py-logotherapy

Having met Jose Silva around 1974 and having taken a course on healing from his daughter as well as many other contacts over many decades - I recommend his approach.

http://undergroundhealthreporter.com...#axzz3T6m2kNNR

I think his approach was used by the Therapeutae and before them.

http://www.lost-civilizations.net/an...ne-page-2.html

The above link will take you to the Ebers and Smith Papyrus showing ancient medicine going back 5,000 years was as good as it was in the American Civil War. (IMHO)
    Last edited by R_Baird; 12-08-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Another technique described in the thread titled book was Rolfing. It develops the belief that parts of the body house or retain information. They massage it away. They go deep inside the body past muscles to organs. I have a hard time visualizing any of it. It hurts just imagining it. I do think chakras are neurologically proven in today's neurosciences but Rolfing was not addressing that; chakras do have an ability to retain information of a specific and limited kind. Of course the brain or lotus chakra has a lot of such information. In short I have to agree with Wikipedia in the case of Rolfing. They say it is quackery. But they say that about anything you don't pay drug pushers large sums of money to abuse you with. Yes, the definition of allopath is drug-pusher; as I see it. When Hillary Clinton tried to bring preventive medical practices into the US system of medicine she was confronted by lobbying of a major sort. They won - she (and we) lost. I am heartened by the cover story of Time Magazine a decade or more ago which said people spend as much on alternative medicine as the insurance or medical system allocates. Here is what Wiki says about alternative medicine - I will create a new thread to address this all-important issue.

"Alternative medicine is any practice that is put forward as having the healing effects of medicine, but is not founded on evidence gathered using the scientific method.[1][2] It consists of a wide range of health care practices, products and therapies.[3] Examples include new and traditional medicine practices such as homeopathy, naturopathy, chiropractic, energy medicine, various forms of acupuncture, traditional Chinese medicine, Ayurvedic medicine, and Christian faith healing. The treatments are those that are not part of the conventional, science-based healthcare system,[4][5][6][7] and are not backed by scientific evidence.

Complementary medicine is alternative medicine used together with conventional medical treatment in a belief, not proven by using scientific methods, that it "complements" the treatment.[n 1][1][9][10] CAM is the abbreviation for complementary and alternative medicine.[11][12] Integrative medicine (or integrative health) is the combination of the practices and methods of alternative medicine with conventional medicine.[13]

Alternative medical diagnoses and treatments are usually not included in the degree courses of medical schools, or used in conventional medicine, where treatments are based on what is proven using the scientific method. Alternative therapies lack such scientific validation, and their effectiveness is either unproved or disproved.[14][15][16] Alternative medicine is usually based on religion, tradition, superstition, belief in supernatural energies, pseudoscience, errors in reasoning, propaganda, or fraud.[14][17][18][19] Regulation and licensing of alternative medicine and health care providers varies from country to country, and state to state.

The scientific community has criticized alternative medicine as being based on misleading statements, quackery, pseudoscience, antiscience, fraud, or poor scientific methodology. Promoting alternative medicine has been called dangerous and unethical.[20] Testing alternative medicine has been called a waste of scarce medical research resources.[21] Critics have said "there is really no such thing as alternative medicine, just medicine that works and medicine that doesn't",[22] and "Can there be any reasonable 'alternative' [to medicine based on evidence]?"[23]"

The President of the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine has these words to say. You must have an accredited college degree before applying and the staff includes many MD's. Local TV has a panel type of presentation on health which includes NDs with MDs. Of course they have a modern approach but naturopathy is so ancient I could say it pre-dates civilization.

"Naturopathic medicine is founded on the principle of healing through the co-operative power of nature. It involves harnessing science to unleash this healing power. Individuals who choose to practice as naturopathic doctors pledge to "encourage others to strengthen their health, reduce risks for disease and preserve the health of our planet for ourselves and future generations." The focus is on promoting health, not on alleviating symptoms. To address the fundamental causes of disease, to heal the whole person through individualized treatment, to teach the principles of healthy living and preventative medicine—these are among the principles that underpin the profession.

If you are the type of individual who views the healing of others as a calling, you exhibit a quality that the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM) values in its students. You do not simply want to enter a profession; ¬you are answering a calling that will lead to greater fulfillment in your life.

My time at CCNM has been one of the most fulfilling periods of my life. I have been impressed by the high quality of our student body. The students are bright, energetic and extremely dedicated. The faculty have impressive credentials and experience and are strongly committed to teaching others the path to promoting health. The staff is dedicated to ensuring that the educational environment is of high quality and the student experiences are positive. In short, I have encountered a team that works together to ensure that CCNM graduates individuals who are well prepared for their roles as naturopathic doctors.

CCNM is a very special place. Our small student body (approximately 550) and self-contained campus allows for an intensity of interaction that fosters life-long friendships. The Robert Schad Naturopathic Clinic is the best-equipped naturopathic medical education clinic in North America, with over 40 examination rooms. The 4.3 acre campus, with its treed courtyard and herb garden, provides a very special atmosphere, while sitting adjacent to a subway entrance.

As you read through the material on this website, reflect upon your decision with care. The path that you are considering is not an easy one. The naturopathic medicine program is extremely intense. The first year involves a comprehensive examination of the biomedical sciences that underlie the study of medicine. The second and third years focus increasingly on the clinical sciences and the modalities that constitute the tools of the profession. The fourth year is spent largely in clinical practice under the supervision of registered NDs."
    The Atlanta school which I equate to the one above has a lot of good articles on things including the Mind, Body, Spirit connection which I think should be required reading for everybody at least once every four years in school.

http://www.acpm.net/articles.html#number
    Last edited by R_Baird; 12-08-2015 at 02:29 PM.

I have a lot of respect for Jimmy Carter who faced tremendous opposition inside the Beltway when he took office. Almost every issue saw him lose his stated agenda. The Bureaucrats were ready with disinformation on defense spending; and all methods they could muster were on call. Here is a fair analysis including many top legislators. I quote some of his words from the link herewith.

"For most of my term, I fought the hospital and medical lobbyists, trying to initiate hospital-cost containment measures designed to insure adequate health care at a reasonable expense. This was not an unproven idea. Several states had already implemented such a system, with notable results: much lower costs to patients and adequately sustained profits for the hospitals and doctors.

I was never able to succeed in this effort, which would have saved the American people more than $50 billion (!) in the first 5 years-after leaving the hospitals free to raise their prices 50% faster than the prevailing inflation rate. In the final showdown, Congress was flooded with money, in the form of campaign contributions from the health industry."

http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/Jim...ealth_Care.htm

Would you agree that a real power of the mind is the ability to cause the wind and rain to behave as you wish? The Yamabushi shamans who arrange healing firewalking (see thread Firewalkers) do the smoke moving which I have seen Wiccans and Native shamans do. But St. Columba did it as an Arch-Druid demonstrating his power to another Druid in a well-known historical account. I have been party to something similar as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMccnQlKCwA

Man seeks affirmation and avoids the unknown or unknowable. He rages at the 'sound and fury' and will not simply 'BE'. He chooses the stage and acts his parts as laid out by other men and the material world of hierarchy. He gives to Caesar more than what Caesar deserves and has lost his center or soul (Collective is God). Could we begin all over again and cause our brain to evolve differently - can we creatively manifest a new paradigm through controlling the World Mind - through more than NLP or brainwashing techniques used in history. Yes, we can use machines to make it so. This paper deals with the effect we can have on how large our brain will be, how our species adapts and the interplay with genetic structure to generate the ability to speak.

http://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/...199541119-e-12
    Last edited by R_Baird; 02-09-2016 at 05:53 PM.

The book Powers of Mind was superficial and much as Gardner says in his critique. But as an overview of weird stuff (rather than the serious pursuits) it was worth reading.

"In response to:

Strawberry Shortcut from the December 11, 1975 issue

To the Editors:

Martin Gardner implies, in his review of Powers of Mind [NYR, December 11], that I wrote a quick book on a fashionable subject. When I began working in the area, the subject was utterly unfashionable. Powers of Mind took more than three years of research, some of it in psychology and physiology, which Mr. Gardner did not mention. The three years were necessary to cover many courses, more than three-hundred interviews, and upwards of a thousand references. In the interim, wavelets of books appeared on transcendental meditation, the “relaxation response,” the application of Zen and martial-arts techniques to sports, and so on—each one chapter, or part of a chapter, in Powers of Mind. Had the object been to be quick and fashionable, there was certainly material enough for half a dozen books, each not much different from some current best sellers. I do not object to the selling of books by publishers—that is supposed to happen—but obviously this was not my only intent.

Adam Smith

New York City

Martin Gardner replies:

When Adam Smith says the subject matter of his book was “utterly unfashionable” three years before he finished it, I can only wonder where he was living. The consciousness-raising trend (roughly paralleling the occult and the back-to-fundamentalism revolutions) got underway in the mid-Sixties and was going full blast when Smith started his research. Consider one tiny datum: a special issue of Cosmopolitan devoted to this country’s growing preoccupation with probing the unknown. One article is called “Drugs and the Mind’s Hidden Powers.” The date? January 1960. Zen and yoga had, of course, become fashionable long before that.

Almost every cult in Smith’s book (except EST) was the talk of cocktail parties in Manhattan in the late Sixties, especially in theatrical, art, and literary circles. They just hadn’t yet spread to spots like Houston and Omaha. As for the “quickness” of Smith’s research, I will mention only that his lengthy bibliography contains no books or articles critical of any of the movements or scientific claims about which he writes."

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/arch...an/22/pioneer/

Since I feel a little sheepish about putting the title book before you, here is a far better book. It integrates origins of most real knowledge. One of the obvious origins of knowledge is love. (and sexual attunement)

If as Sartre says "Love is absent space." What will the wisdom seeker experience in Love versus someone only seeking for what others agree with?

The following book is an academic masterpiece integrating archaeosymbolism, the collective unconscious, archetypes and consciousness studies, which start with paintings in caves but as we know the painting art is about 500,000 years older than we once thought - not so long ago.

"My third epiphany was in 1998 at a performance of Martin McDonagh’s play, The Beauty Queen of Leenane, when I heard the protagonist, Pato Dooley, wistfully declare:

When it’s there I am, it’s here I wish I was, of course. Who
    wouldn’t? But when it’s here I am … it isn’t there I want to be, of
    course not. But I know it isn’t here I want to be either.

In these words I heard Pato Dooley enunciate the universal dilemma of human kind; how to resolve the unattainable quite impractical desire to dwell in that imaginal place from which we have somehow been exiled, where we feel we are home and where we belong and where we know that the essence and reality of our soul will find its safe harbour. This dilemma, this longing is reflected in our religious beliefs and dogmas, in historical narratives, in the art and literature of all cultures and also significantly informs and structures much of our physical and psychological survival since it is most readily and commonly perceived in our storytelling."

http://researchdirect.uws.edu.au/isl...tream/PDF/view
    Last edited by R_Baird; 12-08-2015 at 02:25 PM.