Thread: Empathic Listening = Healing

Empathic Listening = Healing

Steven Covey is well worth reading. His Seven Steps goes the extra mile which few of us really travel. Here are some of his words.

"When I say empathic listening, I mean listening with intent to understand. I mean seeking first to understand, to really understand. It's an entirely different paradigm. Empathic (from empathy) listening gets inside another person's frame of reference. You look out through it, you see the world the way they see the world, you understand their paradigm, you understand how they feel.

Empathy is not sympathy. Sympathy is a form of agreement, a form of judgment. And it is sometimes the more appropriate emotion and response. But people often feed on sympathy. It makes them dependent. The essence of empathic listening is not that you agree with someone; it's that you fully, deeply, understand that person, emotionally as well as intellectually.

Empathic listening involves much more than registering, reflecting, or even understanding the words that are said. Communications experts estimate, in fact, that only 10% of our communication is represented by the words we say. Another 30 percent is represented by our sounds, and 60% by our body language. In empathic listening, you listen with your ears, but you also, and more importantly, listen with your eyes and with your heart. You listen for feeling, for meaning. You listen for behavior. You use your right brain as well as your left. You sense, you intuit, you feel.

Empathic listening is so powerful because it gives you accurate data to work with. Instead of projecting your own autobiography and assuming thoughts, feelings, motives and interpretation, you're dealing with the reality inside another person's head and heart. You're listening to understand. You're focused on receiving the deep communication of another human soul.

In addition, empathic listening is the key to making deposits in Emotional Bank Accounts, because nothing you do is a deposit unless the other person perceives it as such. You can work your fingers to the bone to make a deposit, only to have it turn into a withdrawal when a person regards your efforts as manipulative.

Empathic listening is, in and of itself, a tremendous deposit in the Emotional Bank Account. It's deeply therapeutic and healing because it gives a person psychological air."
    There are books on Body Language to add to your ESP inputs.

http://blog.greatmate.com/body-language-gestures/

http://i.imgur.com/IwCXBXY.jpg

Balancing chhi or qi can cause food to be metabolized properly and more efficiently. It activates chakras in valuable ways which our doctors seem unable to understand - other than thousands of them who support Patch Adams. Norman Cousins cured himself of a life-threatening illness. If you look it up you will see it identified and yet the Cancer Society says it was unknown. Laughter is a worthwhile healing helper and they do acknowledge it has a long history. Of course, people are smart enough to know when they feel better and that has been true since we were animals - just look at your diggie! But I remember reading Norman talking about more than just the release of hormones while he was afflicted. Because we (science) don't understand how it happens does that mean it isn't happening?

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/trea.../humor-therapy

See Patch in person here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdCrPBqQALc

According to Frankl, "We can discover this meaning in life in three different ways: (1) by creating a work or doing a deed; (2) by experiencing something or encountering someone; and (3) by the attitude we take toward unavoidable suffering" and that "everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances".

http://www.logotherapyinstitute.org/...gotherapy.html
    Last edited by R_Baird; 11-25-2015 at 09:11 PM.

Healing and nurturing is clearly uppermost in animals who groom and feed members of their extended families. Do they consciously have wisdom to know how touch heals? Do academics have brains?

Noam Chomsky's contributions to society are vast and varied. But when I am reminded about his linguistics expertise I still cringe. Neuro Psycho-Linguistics has been used by the CIA and military psy-ops and I suspect it has been incorporated into the work of Persinger and his DIA backed mind control.

But this article has interest in trying to ascertain why academics are so infantile in seeing animals have languages and humans never were less than an animal. Animals use sign and body language as well as clicking noises or other complex and proven means to communicate. You can hear me discuss the matter with Jack Landham on a link here. But when they say language requires certain phenotypes and defined syntax I ask whether that improved communication and conscious wisdom acquisition. I too could use jargon and avoid real discourse.

"The evolution of the faculty of language largely remains an enigma. In this essay, we ask why. Language's evolutionary analysis is complicated because it has no equivalent in any nonhuman species. There is also no consensus regarding the essential nature of the language “phenotype.” According to the “Strong Minimalist Thesis,” the key distinguishing feature of language (and what evolutionary theory must explain) is hierarchical syntactic structure. The faculty of language is likely to have emerged quite recently in evolutionary terms, some 70,000–100,000 years ago, and does not seem to have undergone modification since then, though individual languages do of course change over time, operating within this basic framework. The recent emergence of language and its stability are both consistent with the Strong Minimalist Thesis, which has at its core a single repeatable operation that takes exactly two syntactic elements a and b and assembles them to form the set {a, b}."
    http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology...l.pbio.1001934

And even if you do not think healing happens through Love and Empathy - or do not know what an Empath is - I hope you won't stand in the way of women and their healing power, like most religions do.

This book of mine shows a real and true picture of a great man who had the support of a great woman. I hope you can download it for free.

http://edufb.net/20778.pdf

There is a modern day call for the Romans to allow women priests just as the Gnostic Cathari did. The historical Jesus (Yeshua bar Joseph - not born of a virgin or any other NONsense) was married as Mishnah says a Rabbi or teacher must be. His lifelong mate was Mary Magdalene (Magdala, also of Bethany, another place that her father owned a home in is Alexandria, where they both were schooled by Comarius). You can be sure that any wise man at any period of time drew inspiration and counsel from women if those women were educated or even if they simply were interested in learning. In fact the apostles are not particularly well-educated and all their writings are not by them - they were dead when the Gospels were written by and large (35 to 75 years after the death of Yeshua - who did not die on the cross).

So when you read the following you should know that Mary was just one of many women in the time of Jesus and the century after him who Mary Rose D'Angelo says are as important as the apostles in the development of the Christian church. She details this in Vatican II. I liked John Paul II and understand the forces of heretical Roman usages which he decried in 1999 as a two thousand year history of "heinous acts". His words in the following are political, and there is no Papal Infallibility despite what the Catholic Encyclopedia says. The Pope never was at the center of the universe with all revolving around him on a Flat Earth (The Firmament). When this churchian behemoth has day care centers in the Vatican and women are made whole rather than treated as dirty (Yes, when he visited Toronto - per dogma and ritual - no woman was allowed to go near the ritual stations during or before his Mass.) I will believe in the possibility that serial rapists are capable of rehabilitation.

In some orthodox Jewish cults the Rabbi sets the date for a marriage and asks the woman when her period is so the "dirt" will not infect the proceedings.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/ISSUES/WHYWOMEN.TXT
    Last edited by R_Baird; 11-25-2015 at 09:13 PM.