Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning Styles and The Testing Industry

Learning Styles and The Testing Industry

EDUCATION - TESTING INDUSTRY - LEARNING STYLES: - What is aptitude? Why must people work within a social framework that values following 'norms' of intellect and has questions on tests rather than judgments of soulful and ethical actual behavior? The book 'Emotional Intelligence' makes a good case for EQ rather than IQ. Kaoru Yamamoto of the University of Colorado describes the making, coaching, and taking of tests seem like all our teachers are learning. He correctly identifies the flawed ability to maintain or generate effective learning by turning the process into unwilling students being force fed by uncharismatic automatons without authority. Most teachers know they are little more than 'glorified baby-sitters' and so they don't want to be held accountable. Accountable to tests that value regurgitation is not accountable to real value. They have lots of good arguments on all sides of the issue because the fundamental premises are hugely flawed.

Some social scientists make a very good point about the purpose of education in our recent history when they note the Industrial Revolution sought workers to punch time clocks and follow the bosses and their minion's orders. The homogenization of memorization being the key to learning assumes something worse than what isn't in evidence. It is not evident that linear logical processes or competency in memory skills is paramount to the functioning character development of productive people. In fact we have ample reason to limit these skills now that hand held or wristwatch sized data bases are able to connect to near total knowledge networks. Forgetting that important point, we must understand what education and teaching really is supposed to achieve. Simple common sense alone would indicate a high priority should exist in the augmentation of interest in learning and the joys it may offer a person throughout their life.

Co-operative and social integrational skills teaching are well enough developed in the science of education and should be given more support. In Canada the word 'co-operative' is used but the purposes of learning style (Take a look at H. Gardner's work which now has eight distinct learning style proficiencies.) and personality differences aren't known by the teachers who think co-operative learning means some kind of teamwork between teachers, students and parents. Group dynamics within the student's core appreciation of purpose and relating to each other is more the point. Seeing the benefits of a good creative spatial competency in another person within the group and learning the most important things are useful creative outputs rather than some goal established by someone outside the group, might have more merit. The compassionate diplomatic and purposeful ethic of net additional value rather than homogenized adherence to hypocritical unquestioned pablum with frequent prejudicial or egoistically infused judgement needs support.

Celebration of relevant new approaches that offer explorations of new perspectives without a sense of black and white answers are seldom found and the character seems to be judged according to how well we imitate or fit the prevailing 'norm'. How can we maintain a desire to explore that is born into the human core courage to know something more than the personal? When will knowing how to cope with sexual, sensual psychological nurturing and other life skills including how to make each other healthier become valued? The old emphasis on individuals enjoying each others different character becomes lost in a maze of peer and social structure. Is it possible that people will learn to read and communicate at different times in their life? Recent research shows that men learn math best, later than women. Language and communication engages the young brain more fully and should be focused upon at the ages before seven. The Bardic schools knew these things and had young people work as jesters and minstrels early in the process.

Physiologically we can say there are 350,000 neural connections possible that become atrophied to the point most people use only half of them. What about thinking? It isn't dumping of data - it requires integrating and making judgments. Perhaps we are encouraging a lack of judgement as an over-compensation against old racial ideologies or because authoritarian religions sought faith-full 'followers'. Maybe it is because the armies of feudal lords wanted hateful and macho murderers; and parenting became a castle for power 'over' rather than nurture FOR the children. Children are not the property of parents as much as they are rightful and important members of the tribe, clan or larger social unit. These things were known in the pre-Christian times when women weren't the property (Hammurabi's Code specifies and Biblical baby-factories enforced) of men.

There may be eight physiological or neurophysiological different core learning style competencies with numerous variations but each of us is capable of learning to augment all of these attributes and appreciating other strengths and weaknesses. Building brotherhood rather than competing against each other is an excellent character-building alternative to established fences or hurdles to jump over. If at the end of five years of school a person still wants to learn and yet has learned little - is that better than a person who has learned 'reading, writing and arithmetic' but thinks they know all they need to know. There were initiatory stages available for lifelong education and soulful growth (The Australian aborigines still have this; and many others do as well.). Beyond seeing what one 'can do'; we do need to establish what one should do. The decision about what we should do is hard to make at some far away central administration center. Beyond teaching the ethical constructs (woefully lacking especially without comparative religion) we should support or enable purposes beyond what generates occupation-oriented proficiency. There is reason to believe that students learn to read and write or compete without a structure to ensure it. Technology exists to allow students to learn much of what is taught in their own time away from the sense of right or wrong and ridicule.

Do I think we should create groups and movement between groups as a key focus on working together and helping each other? Do I think music and performing creates an environment of learning language and communication as well as improving self-esteem. Would I encourage rhetoric and diminish early writing initiatives that force failure through unwarranted structured thinking. Would I hold writing back until the person is able to feel they can do most anything and their brain has fully grown after the age of eight? Would I have lots of schools where students chose what to learn and when? And at the end of some period of time would I make the challenge become how much they can achieve as a unit, group or school against another such unit? If I did want all these things and was seen as 'primitive' because this is the kind of thing the ancient Kelts did: what would I say to those who laughed.

I'd say these schools taught specific memory techniques rather than memorization of unimportant data. This created a skill rather than a mark on some test relating to some often propagandized history. With this skill the memory almost never was an issue and asinine regurgitation of trivia passing as knowledge seldom occurred in people's day to day lives. I'd say the creative urges to perform according to disciplined use of musical instruments, dance and song or other acting skills and craftwork made secure citizens who felt they could help and be useful in their societal group. How would they respond when I told them the clans taught a group responsibility that made it impossible for a child to work their blackmail of emotion on a loving parent, through extended families; and that this led to lawful and respectful behavior? How would they respond when I made it clear that worship was real and that people were encouraged to know the ever-increasing insights that the soul may offer.

How would they respond when I challenged them to find a more egalitarian and nurturing group of people who truly valued the inputs of women and knew they were biologically superior to men or were at least the equal? Yes, women have more endurance, don't faint when wounded, are better diplomats because they use their whole brain and don't get carried away on ego as much. Endurance was a key thing amongst warriors. The child-rearing was shared in a whole family unit and the woman was able to be the leader in all fields of endeavour rather than simply thrown into a one-dimensional role as care-giver or ornament.

Clearly they wouldn't be able to point to a more gifted group of scientists and teachers than the Druidic hierarchy produced. We are still learning or re-discovering what they knew. The 'Lost Chord' and harmonics or the healing techniques of shamans and dream-dancers, is worth our investigation. The wholistic appreciation for nature and all the majesty of love and beauty we have lost through the ministrations of macho models of greed and power, must be re-kindled. The creeds of the present power-oriented churches versus the Keltic Creed must be considered.

HOW AND WHEN DID WE GO WRONG?

This paper deals with the effect we can have on how large our brain will be, how our species adapts and the interplay with genetic structure to generate the ability to speak.

http://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/...199541119-e-12
    Last edited by R_Baird; 12-25-2015 at 12:21 PM. Reason: add color

The increased diagnosis of ADD or ADHD is a direct result of government funding to benefit the drug companies and avoid responsibility for making education interesting or what I call a Joy of Learning. Rather than give you another rant of mine on the matter of Ritalin I will give you a good doctor's thoughts on the matter.

Dear Health Conscious Reader,

A new study reveals that healthy kids who take Ritalin have a whopping 500 percent greater risk of sudden death. These aren’t kids with pre-existing heart conditions. The results would have been worse if they were included.

Here’s proof that what you’ve been told for decades – that Ritalin is safe for kids – couldn’t be further from the truth.

Ritalin is a stimulant. It causes the heart to beat faster. And that can lead to sudden cardiac arrest. Ritalin acts exactly like amphetamines such as crystal meth and cocaine.

In spite of evidence that it could stunt their growth1, and cause irreversible brain damage2 and that it is linked to serious cardiovascular events, the FDA remains silent.

Still, the FDA refuses to take action. No new warnings are planned and prescriptions for Ritalin continue to spiral upward.

Objections to the FDA’s sluggishness are even starting to appear in conservative medical journals like JAMA, the Journal of the American Medical Association. In a recent editorial, they criticized the FDA by saying the FDA is “interpreting the results cautiously.”

Plus, JAMA notes that the FDA funded and approved the design of the study. Only when the results came out did they have a problem with the design of the study. I guess the FDA didn’t like the results their own design produced.

This is the big point for all of us: Doctors hand out Ritalin prescriptions every day. And too often you aren’t told of the dangers.

ADHD is still the most commonly diagnosed disorder in children.

What’s more, studies show that the drugs don’t work. The same study that found Ritalin stunts kids’ growth also found that it has no beneficial effect on behavior over a three-year period.

So what do you do for children who have trouble concentrating, focusing, or calming down? Here are a few easy, safe, and natural ways to bring kids “to attention” without endangering their mental and physical health.

1. Ramp up the amount of omega-3 in their diet. Studies show that many children with ADHD don’t get enough omega-3. Cod liver oil and fish-oil capsules deliver the two kinds of omega-3s the body needs.

You can also get them to eat more lean meats, eggs, and nuts, preferably free-range, grass-fed and organic. These are all great sources of omega-3. I recommend 1,000 mg of omega-3s daily.

2. Pine bark extract is another natural supplement that works. One European study using pycnogenol, an organic compound found in the bark of the French maritime pine tree, showed that after only one month, children’s behavior improved significantly on as little as 1 mg per day.3

3. Finally, certain naturally occurring amino acids can treat ADHD.

One of them is 5-HTP. It’s a precursor to serotonin, one of the chemicals in the brain that relieves anxiety and depression (popular antidepressants like Prozac, Zoloft, and Lexapro all boost serotonin levels). I recommend 50 to 100 mg three times per day with meals.

Another is tyrosine. It works like 5-HTP, increasing levels of various chemicals in the brain connected to mood and the ability to concentrate. The optimal dose is 5,000 mg per day for children and up to 10,000 mg per day for adults.

These are natural and safe alternatives that I use in my medical practice every day. They aren’t harmful or addictive, and unlike all those ADHD drugs, they actually work. They are easy to find at health food stores.

To Your Good Health,

Al Sears, MD
    1.Jensen et al, “3-Year Follow-up of the NIMH MTA Study.” Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. 2007. 46(8):989-1002.
    2. Gray et al, “Methylphenidate Administration to Juvenile Rats Alters Brain Areas Involved in Cognition, Motivated Behaviors, Appetite, and Stress,” Journal of Neuroscience, 2007, 27(27):7196-7207.
    3. Trebatická et al, “Treatment of ADHD with French maritime pine bark extract, Pycnogenol.” European Child and Adolescent
    Last edited by R_Baird; 11-25-2015 at 05:06 PM.

“The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.” - Albert Einstein

Imagine a world where psychic ability was enhanced from an early age - which it was during many eras prior to Empires who sought malleable subjects. Imagine teaching adepthood technology outside the black ops government and secret societies.

The Iowa State courses mentioned here were attended by my wife after a lot of prodding by myself. Her report to me lead me to believe the Accelerative Learning technique left out a great deal of what Dr. Milan Ryzl included and which was reported by Psychic Discoveries author Ostrander. When Ryzl came to speak to psychologists at the Sacramento Inn about five years before my wife took the above noted course in the summer of 1978 I was involved with one of the attendees. Because I was able to describe in detail what she was hearing him say - she said I was controlling her mind. She had also been losing weight. She was a very psychic person who was a subject in controlled experiments for Dr. Richard Alpert and she was a member of Esalen.

http://mankindresearchunlimited.weeb...i-lozonov.html

At some point I will have to create a thread on Esalen It is most important and because it has so many prominent members of the Establishment as well as this semi-secret research group my lady was a part of - many conspiracy nuts have imagined all manner of bad things. Joseph Campbell was a person who learned a lot and shared a lot here.

"Most of us know Esalen mainly through public workshops advertised in the
    catalog. But there is another, usually quieter, Esalen that’s by invitation only: the
    hundreds of private initiatives sponsored now by Esalen’s Center for Theory and
    Research (CTR). Though not well publicized, this other Esalen has had a major impact
    on America and the world at large. From its programs in citizen diplomacy to its
    pioneering role in holistic health; from physics and philosophy to psychology, education
    and religion, Esalen has exercised a significant influence on our culture and society."
    http://www.esalen.org/sites/default/...nitiatives.pdf

EDUCATION AS HYPE (POLITICS): - Just a brief entry on a highly complex subject that deserves whole books which I have written about extensively. The ex-NHL goalie and Ralph Nader lawyer by the name of Ken Dryden wrote a book called In School. The back flap of it has this tidbit for your consideration: "
    Ken Dryden tackles what he sees as the education debate's retreat to a safe, unthinking - and ultimately - black and white ground of issues and policies at the expense of people. Ultimately he discovers that good teachers teach people and not just subjects."
    (16) One of the most taught AGAINST things has to do with the soul. I think comparative religion and Yoga should be taught.

EGO - ALTER: - The whole field of academia and education owes a great debt to individuals like Jacquetta Hawkes and her second husband J. B. Priestly. The next little quote is a great insight into their personal beliefs taken from a Reader's Digest publication.

"The English novelist J. B. Priestly, who is married to the well-known archaeologist Jacquetta Hawkes, related this experience to Arthur Koestler in a letter dated February 7, 1972:

'My wife bought three large lithographs by Graham Sutherland. When they arrived here from London she took them up to her bedroom, to hang them up in the morning. They were leaning against a chair and the one on the outside, facing the room, was a lithograph of a grasshopper. When Jacquetta got into bed that night, she felt some sort of twittering movement going on, so she got out and pulled back the clothes. There was a grasshopper in the bed. No grasshopper had been seen since. No grasshopper has been seen at any time in this house. ('Research in Parapsychology', W.G. Roll, R.L. Morris, and J. D. Morris, eds. p. 209)"
    (17)

Of course many parents can't question the authorities and they never learned how to research, read with comprehension or think. Guess what they do? They give their kids Ritalin even if they have to buy it on the gray market, street, or internet. Maybe they get a package deal alongside the drugs they use to self-medicate.

"Pushy parents are giving healthy children Ritalin bought on the Internet in an attempt to boost their exam performance, a leading psychologist claimed.

They believe the potent hyperactivity drug will prolong their children's concentration at school, while studying at home and in the exam hall itself.

But they are risking serious health complications ranging from inadvertent over-dosing to sleeplessness and loss of appetite, warned Paul Cooper, professor of education at Leicester University.

There is also no way of checking whether drugs bought over the Internet are counterfeit.

Professor Cooper, a chartered psychologist, made his claims in a speech over the growing use of so-called "smart drugs" to enhance children's performance in the classroom.

Ritalin is prescribed to treat those with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, which is characterised by an inability to focus on specific tasks.

The drug helps increase alertness and improve aspects of concentration and memory.

But Professor Cooper believes growing numbers of parents are administering it to children themselves without a diagnosis from a doctor.

They may be concerned their children are bored, restless or distracted and convince themselves they could benefit from Ritalin treatment.

His warning comes at a time of mounting concern over levels of exam stress faced by pupils amid intense competition for top grades and places at elite universities.

He said: "We are moving into a phase now where informed parents can bypass the medical profession, go online and prescribe the drug themselves.

"I have anecdotal evidence a number of parents in this country have done it. I know of three parents who have done this in one state secondary school alone. If that is just one school, it is being replicated on a massive scale.

"If parents are prepared to put their lives into turmoil by moving house to be near a good school or lying about where they live, why not also use drugs? It seems educational attainment at any cost is desirable."

He added that some parents may believe their children need extra time in exams because of mild ADHD but have been unable to gain a diagnosis.

Emboldened by marketing claims Ritalin is safe, they are prepared to order the medication themselves from online drug stores.

"My personal view is that any claim these heavy-duty psychotropic drugs are safe has to be questionable," he said."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...exam-time.html
    Last edited by R_Baird; 11-25-2015 at 05:09 PM.

TEACHING: - Einstein said "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." We are great believers in the freeing nature of knowledge. But education seems to segment and create far too many hierarchies and layers of 'expertise' that don't integrate and use the whole body of relevant knowledge. Some people above these layers of paladins or minions have historically benefited. There is no doubt this is true. But, you might wonder why and who? You have every right and even an obligation or responsibility to so wonder; a benefit to all mankind can result. If we allow anyone of the human race to be diminished we all suffer. This thought echoed by John Donne (a great metaphysician) is totally ensconced in the Keltic Creed and Brotherhood of Iesa. It is evident in the 2800 year archaeologic pre-pyramid record of Malta and it should be what we are striving for even if our history is one of evil and war.

In Wisdom of the Ages, Dr. Wayne W. Dyer does another of his great integrations of scholarship and shows us the root of wisdom is in the heart or soul. The inside flap of his book quotes a brief poem from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:

"Lives of great men all remind us

We can make our lives sublime,

And, departing, leave behind us

Footprints on the sands of time.

Footprints, that perhaps another,

Sailing o'er life's solemn main,

A forlorn and shipwrecked brother,

Seeing, shall take heart again."

In his own life he deals with the powerful effects of group-think rather than education as it should be (as Socrates would want or the Druids did encourage). He has eight 'wonderful' children and he faces the common issues beyond mere academic musings.

"If everyone seems to think that it is cool to drink and use drugs, and you are undecided, take a different path {He use's Robert Frost's 'The Road Not Taken' as a lead-in to this thought.} Choose the road that you and only you are going to traverse, {Knowing that when you actually meet people of like mind they are real and you can trust them; is one of the benefits.} and it will make all the difference. One reason peer pressure has such a powerful effect on young people is that we adults are victims of the same group-think mentality. We often excuse youngsters because we have difficulty making a difference in our own lives." (7)
    There are many research projects at Harvard over the past three decades which I have used to support my writings and thoughts regarding psychic phenomena. Testing family members separated at birth was almost as good as the Minnesota Twins study. A community of old people immersed in the music and culture they were brought up in went back in time - physically. Their health then returned to normal as they were no longer immersed. The advent of brain scanning has taken it a long ways further.

"In your book you write about the psychologist William James and his comparison of the brain to a prism. How does this relate to psychic phenomena?

He believed consciousness is not just what's happening to the neurons in the brain. The brain is our instrument in focusing and organizing our consciousness. Just like a prism will take a white light with all these different frequencies and separate it so you can see the different colors of the spectrum. Rather than us experiencing everything that's happening all at once, our brain focuses us on the here and the now. It uses our sensory organs as guides as to what we should be focusing on. Experiments have shown that most psychic experiences occur when are sensory organs are muted, like when we're dreaming or having a near-death experience.

In your book you mention Abraham Lincoln as one of the more famous examples of precognitive dreaming.

Lincoln had a very vivid dream of walking around the White House and hearing all these people mourning and asking, "What's going on?" and then having someone tell him, "The president's dead." Then he saw his own corpse. He had this dream literally ten days before he was assassinated. He didn't tell anybody about it at first, but a few days before [his assassination], he told his wife and some friends. Of course, that's not true of all dreams. Some dreams actually are tapping into some other time and place, and there's real information in them. Others are just imagination. I think that's one of the reasons why psychics don't have 100% accuracy, sometimes it's just their imagination. What I'm interesting in is trying to discern what it is that makes those experiences so different. {Rasputin was even more impressive, Lincoln was a Merovingian.}

Tell me about the stigma associated with scientists who study psychic phenomena.

There are theories about how the brain works, and what people do is design experiments to generate data that fits with that theory. If they run into data that doesn't fit into their theory, they just ignore it. But a true scientist will throw out the existing theory if they have a lot of data that cannot be explained. Theories are man-made, and therefore fallible. Data is what's most important. That's why we have penicillin. The scientist who grew this bacteria didn't just throw it out. He looked at it and asked, why aren't bacteria growing in this plate, and he noticed there was mold in it. If he had thrown out that plate, we wouldn't have penicillin. {Archaeology recently proved anti-septics and anti-biotics long before recent so-called discoveries existed in Druidic times.}

You write that it's likely everybody possesses psychic abilities, but some people are simply more successful at it? Why is that?

Genetics are likely behind it. One of the things we know is that it runs in families. If you talk to psychics, they'll tell you there's a family history of it. Though we haven't found it, there's likely a gene for it. There are also cases where people haven't had any psychic abilities until they've suffered head traumas. What's common is that these people who've had this head trauma, the structure and function of their brain has been changed. They're often not able to function very well in the real world because they don't know how to use the analytical side of their brain. Similarly, people with synesthesia [a condition in which the senses are connected, i.e. the sound of an orchestra will cause flashes of color or the taste of chicken] have less activity in their cortex. People with autism also have a higher probability of psychic abilities.

How do quantum physics and Albert Einstein's theories relate to precognition?

If you stop thinking of time the way those in the Newtonian age thought of time as an arrow, and you start thinking of time as the way that Einstein thought of it as a space-time continuum, the future already exists. Just like the entire globe of the earth is all there even though I'm not currently seeing it all here in Southern Oregon. Our brain only allows us to experience time as a series of recurrent moments. What Einstein's saying is that when we're talking about time we're really talking about a psychological construct. Time is like any other dimension in that it isn't limited. Like space, we have up and down, east and west, they go bidirectionally. Why would time be something different than that? If we didn't have the constraints of our brain and our psychology that limit our experiences, we would be able to see that."
    http://content.time.com/time/health/...868287,00.html
    Last edited by R_Baird; 01-01-2016 at 03:09 PM.

There is an unpublished autobiography of Tesla available for free on the web. It details how Tesla's father became a cleric after having been a military person. This father then tried to make Tesla into a cleric. I see the Bairdic and minstrel training was part of what young Tesla was required to do by his father. The brain is now proven to have about 350,000 connections and many of them atrophy if not properly used or activated early in life. His father was a great spiritual orator and may even have spoken tongues because he often seemed to have a room full of participants according to Tesla as he recalled his father talking to himself. Rhetoric, mime and performance arts as well as languages were central to early education for Kelts in the Bairdic Tradition. There are those today who say Tesla got his knowledge from a book found at Glastonbury in the eleventh century that had only two surviving copies before the First World War. They call this book The Kolbrin but I know it relates to Druidic knowledge that was Christianized or Romanized from the Coelbren. (1) It is possible that Napoleon had this book due to his Hibernian or Merovingian connections and that Tesla's grandfather received it from Napoleon. The reverse is also possible.

I suspect that Napoleon would have sought out the officer in his army who would have demonstrated this knowledge system which Tesla's father indoctrinated his children into. Napoleon himself claimed a Tuscan noble lineage that was unprovable and might have been unprovable due to the Cathar Crusade they supported. David Chandler is a noted military historian from Sandhurst who says he thinks General Marbouef was actually Napoleon's father but that alone does not explain his efforts or interests in Napoleon. We know Napoleon was an ardent admirer of Alexander and they both had 'direct cognition' events in the Great Pyramid. I guess you would have to read a lot of my other books to see what I am saying about this Magian direct cognition of the Bairds or Druids. I think this is one of the sources of Tesla's great ability to see machinery from a near futuristic 'viewing'.

"Although I must trace to my mother's influence whatever inventiveness I possess, the training he gave me must have been helpful. It comprised of all sorts of exercises, as guessing one another's thoughts, discovering the defects of some form of expression, repeating long sentences or performing mental calculations. These daily lessons were intended to strengthen memory and reason and especially to develop the critical sense, and undoubtedly were very beneficial."
    (2)

I will refer to this autobiography frequently throughout this book as I try to show many things about Tesla and myself or his father that are related with my own experiences in life.

Confirmation of my research is all over the work of Tesla. This Guyot in the following quote is a Hibernian like Bernard of Clairvaux. Part of the Cathar treasures has to do with their trade to the Americas and I have tried to provide many proofs of that in other books. The Huguenots brought to America by the prime Merovingian Astor in a later time are also connected to the remains of the Cathars after the bulk of them were wiped out in a Roman Crusade of mania and power. I suspect Tesla's father was related to the Bogomil remnants of the Cathars and their Luciferian or Alumbrados Jesuit lineage. He was a Serbian-Orthodox priest of great renown and the teaching techniques he used with Tesla and his brother are the techniques of the Bairds or Bards who were called Troubadors in Southern France during the Cathar era.

1)http://www.yowusa.com/Public/1Q04/kb...b_public01.htm

2)http://www.mcnabb.com/music/tesla/bio.pdf

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” Tesla.

http://www.rspearson.com/faq.html Brings us this paragraph to consider.

"Q. Is Robert Pearson primarily a composer or is he really a writer? A person can't be a professional author and a professional composer, right?

A. This question shows a dilemma that has occured to Pearson for most of his adult life. In fact, there are many well-known professional artists who do two arts equally as well. Pearson does not see himself as a better writer than he is a composer. In fact, many professional classical composers consider him an excellent composer. Many professional authors consider him an excellent non-fiction author and poet. These artists who do more than one art are sometimes called polyartists, or sometimes they are called "Renaissance men." Pearson is a bit unique in that he is also a theorist -- he has been actively contributing to world theory since the young age of 22 when he released the first versions of Virtuism and ParaMind Theory in self-published books and journals. An art magazine published in N.Y. called Artitude published the first version in 1986. Such a situation is considered by him more as much a burden as a blessing -- some think such a person is a bit crazy unless they are already well respected by many people. Creativity is seen as a virtue unless a person is too creative! Such people are the inventors Buckminster Fuller and Nicola Tesla, the television celebrity Steve Allen, and rock stars Brian Eno and David Byrne. Even "philosophers" like G.I. Gurdjieff and Rudolph Steiner, if they didn't have the strange metaphysical element (which cancel them out academically), would be considered polyartists and poly-theorists. In fact, today interdisciplinary studies are very popular in almost every university and many artists are similar to Pearson in some way of taking their work seriously in the theoretical level."
    "Professor Goddard does not know the relation between action and reaction and the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react. He seems to lack the basic knowledge ladled out daily in high schools." --- (New York Times editorial about Robert Goddard's revolutionary rocket work, 1921)

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." (Charles H. Duell, commissioner, US Office of Patents, 1899)
    Last edited by R_Baird; 11-30-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Howard Gardner of Harvard has made a great re-discovery of the human learning dynamic.

"Multiple Intelligences

Howard Gardner of Harvard has identified seven distinct intelligences. This theory has emerged from recent cognitive research and "documents the extent to which students possess different kinds of minds and therefore learn, remember, perform, and understand in different ways," according to Gardner (1991). According to this theory, "we are all able to know the world through language, logical-mathematical analysis, spatial representation, musical thinking, the use of the body to solve problems or to make things, an understanding of other individuals, and an understanding of ourselves. Where individuals differ is in the strength of these intelligences - the so-called profile of intelligences -and in the ways in which such intelligences are invoked and combined to carry out different tasks, solve diverse problems, and progress in various domains."

Gardner says that these differences "challenge an educational system that assumes that everyone can learn the same materials in the same way and that a uniform, universal measure suffices to test student learning. Indeed, as currently constituted, our educational system is heavily biased toward linguistic modes of instruction and assessment and, to a somewhat lesser degree, toward logical-quantitative modes as well." Gardner argues that "a contrasting set of assumptions is more likely to be educationally effective. Students learn in ways that are identifiably distinctive. The broad spectrum of students - and perhaps the society as a whole - would be better served if disciplines could be presented in a numbers of ways and learning could be assessed through a variety of means." The learning styles are as follows:

Visual-Spatial - think in terms of physical space, as do architects and sailors. Very aware of their environments. They like to draw, do jigsaw puzzles, read maps, daydream. They can be taught through drawings, verbal and physical imagery. Tools include models, graphics, charts, photographs, drawings, 3-D modeling, video, videoconferencing, television, multimedia, texts with pictures/charts/graphs.

Bodily-kinesthetic - use the body effectively, like a dancer or a surgeon. Keen sense of body awareness. They like movement, making things, touching. They communicate well through body language and be taught through physical activity, hands-on learning, acting out, role playing. Tools include equipment and real objects.

Musical - show sensitivity to rhythm and sound. They love music, but they are also sensitive to sounds in their environments. They may study better with music in the background. They can be taught by turning lessons into lyrics, speaking rhythmically, tapping out time. Tools include musical instruments, music, radio, stereo, CD-ROM, multimedia.

Interpersonal - understanding, interacting with others. These students learn through interaction. They have many friends, empathy for others, street smarts. They can be taught through group activities, seminars, dialogues. Tools include the telephone, audio conferencing, time and attention from the instructor, video conferencing, writing, computer conferencing, E-mail.

Intrapersonal - understanding one's own interests, goals. These learners tend to shy away from others. They're in tune with their inner feelings; they have wisdom, intuition and motivation, as well as a strong will, confidence and opinions. They can be taught through independent study and introspection. Tools include books, creative materials, diaries, privacy and time. They are the most independent of the learners.

Linguistic - using words effectively. These learners have highly developed auditory skills and often think in words. They like reading, playing word games, making up poetry or stories. They can be taught by encouraging them to say and see words, read books together. Tools include computers, games, multimedia, books, tape recorders, and lecture.

Logical -Mathematical - reasoning, calculating. Think conceptually, abstractly and are able to see and explore patterns and relationships. They like to experiment, solve puzzles, ask cosmic questions. They can be taught through logic games, investigations, mysteries. They need to learn and form concepts before they can deal with details.

At first, it may seem impossible to teach to all learning styles. However, as we move into using a mix of media or multimedia, it becomes easier. As we understand learning styles, it becomes apparent why multimedia appeals to learners and why a mix of media is more effective. It satisfies the many types of learning preferences that one person may embody or that a class embodies. A review of the literature shows that a variety of decisions must be made when choosing media that is appropriate to learning style.

Visuals: Visual media help students acquire concrete concepts, such as object identification, spatial relationship, or motor skills where words alone are inefficient.

Printed words: There is disagreement about audio's superiority to print for affective objectives; several models do not recommend verbal sound if it is not part of the task to be learned.

Sound: A distinction is drawn between verbal sound and non-verbal sound such as music. Sound media are necessary to present a stimulus for recall or sound recognition. Audio narration is recommended for poor readers.

Motion: Models force decisions among still, limited movement, and full movement visuals. Motion is used to depict human performance so that learners can copy the movement. Several models assert that motion may be unnecessary and provides decision aid questions based upon objectives. Visual media which portray motion are best to show psychomotor or cognitive domain expectations by showing the skill as a model against which students can measure their performance.

Color: Decisions on color display are required if an object's color is relevant to what is being learned.

Realia: Realia are tangible, real objects which are not models and are useful to teach motor and cognitive skills involving unfamiliar objects. Realia are appropriate for use with individuals or groups and may be situation based. Realia may be used to present information realistically but it may be equally important that the presentation corresponds with the way learner's represent information internally.

Instructional Setting: Design should cover whether the materials are to be used in a home or instructional setting and consider the size what is to be learned. Print instruction should be delivered in an individualized mode which allows the learner to set the learning pace. The ability to provide corrective feedback for individual learners is important but any medium can provide corrective feedback by stating the correct answer to allow comparison of the two answers.

Learner Characteristics: Most models consider learner characteristics as media may be differentially effective for different learners. Although research has had limited success in identifying the media most suitable for types of learners several models are based on this method.

Reading ability: Pictures facilitate learning for poor readers who benefit more from speaking than from writing because they understand spoken words; self-directed good readers can control the pace; and print allows easier review.

Categories of Learning Outcomes: Categories ranged from three to eleven and most include some or all of Gagne's (1977) learning categories; intellectual skills, verbal information, motor skills, attitudes, and cognitive strategies. Several models suggest a procedure which categorizes learning outcomes, plans instructional events to teach objectives, identifies the type of stimuli to present events, and media capable of presenting the stimuli.

Events of Instruction: The external events which support internal learning processes are called events of instruction. The events of instruction are planned before selecting the media to present it.

Performance: Many models discuss eliciting performance where the student practices the task which sets the stage for reinforcement. Several models indicate that the elicited performance should be categorized by type; overt, covert, motor, verbal, constructed, and select. Media should be selected which is best able to elicit these responses and the response frequency. One model advocates a behavioral approach so that media is chosen to elicit responses for practice. To provide feedback about the student's response, an interactive medium might be chosen, but any medium can provide feedback. Learner characteristics such as error proneness and anxiety should influence media selection.

Testing which traditionally is accomplished through print, may be handled by electronic media. Media are better able to assess learners' visual skills than are print media and can be used to assess learner performance in realistic situations.

from "The Distance Learning Technology Resource Guide," by Carla Lane"
    http://www.tecweb.org/styles/gardner.html
    Last edited by R_Baird; 12-06-2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: add color

I can envisage ways to test real knowledge and wisdom acquisition with the use of neurophysics as seen in this debate.

I know the legal profession does not want to see the neurosciences being used to do their job, but some teachers might welcome the freedom to really teach rather than test..

"John Danaher

There has been much fascination in recent years with the potential legal implications of discoveries and technologies in the neurosciences. One example of this fascination relates to the development of technologies for brain-based lie detection. There has also, in recent years, been a Law Reform debate concerning the appropriate test that should be applied when deciding which kinds of scientific evidence should be admitted to Irish courts. It has been argued, in particular, that Irish courts should begin to employ a
    Daubert-style reliability test when admitting scientific evidence. This article addresses the appropriateness of such reliability tests, along with the potential forensic uses of neuroscientific technologies, by analysing and drawing lessons from a recent US decision dealing with the admissibility of brain-based lie detection evidence.

1. Introduction

This article sets out to kill two birds with the one stone. The first “bird” is the potential legal impact of recent developments in the neurosciences. The second “bird” is the need for some sort of formal reliability test when it comes to the admissibility of scientific evidence in Irish courts. The “stone” is an analysis of the recent American case of

U.S. v Semrau which dealt with both of these issues.

As regards the potential legal impact of the neurosciences, a superficial glance at the academic literature reveals a growing fascination with this topic. Societies have been formed, journals have been founded, projects have been undertaken and articles have been written, all exploring the legal and ethical issues arising from new brain-scanning technologies, cognitive enhancers and the like.

One particularly interesting and pressing example of the legal impact of neuroscience comes from brain-based lie-detectors. These are explained in more detail later in this article. The basic idea behind these detectors is that modern brain-scanning technologies can be used to determine whether someone is lying or telling the truth. The concept has been around for some time, but in recent years two US-based companies have been set up and have begun offering this technology for forensic uses. One of those companies—Cephos Corporation—had their..."

http://www.academia.edu/3084275/The_...tific_Evidence

When I may seem to be down on the Rothschild banksters, or ecclesiastical elites I am just as much against those who necessitate such behavior. That includes ignorant conspiracy theorists who maintain they have an inalienable right to bear arms and children. The Cabots and the Lodges made a lot of money through mining coal and such with slave laborers from Ireland - and that is bad; but they also did great things when they fostered the Rumford Institute for Mutual Instruction which we see in this doctoral thesis. Mutual Instruction and making room for students to teach each other and co-operate rather than always competing is an ethic still largely missing from our schools.

https://dlib.bc.edu/islandora/object...tream/PDF/view
    Last edited by R_Baird; 01-01-2016 at 03:11 PM.

Our teachers are at the forefront of both change and repressive paradigm engineering. If you can think back to a good teacher who uplifted the life of every child and knew a philosophy of abundant hope and wisdom - you are truly fortunate. It could happen as easy as taking back the government's right to maintain curriculum conformity, and allowing or mandating various approaches; and allowing the children to choose which teacher to learn from. Those teachers would have internet followers and full classrooms. The administration would have to use the other teachers who fumble along selling what they were told was educational, as security guards and janitors; if this was first done on a trial basis of one school per city and the doors were open to adults seeking spiritual growth. Eventually the wisdom dispensers would earn more than the schlepp slingers. The long debated chit system would make a teacher with a large following rich; great charismatic teachers would spring up and fewer frauds in spiritual and religious groups would also come to pass. No doubt it would take some refinement and continued legal or other changes.

There are a whole lot of emotions involved in entitlement thinking and society needs to address it BEFORE sending out the police. It won't likely be in church or at homes, where the problems are as apparent as in legislatures. So we must hope teachers can do this without authority to change curriculums. Thankfully it takes only one or two teachers in every school to get some traction in the discourse between kids. As you read what this good doctor has to say I beg you to apply it to all matters considered inalienable; guns, borders, religious freedoms etc..

"“It's My Right to Be Happy!”

Lewis’ statement reflected an underlying belief about entitlement that was now threatening the survival of his relationship with Laura. During their three-year marriage he had often felt disappointed with her, and his frustration finally reached a boiling point. His recent anger outburst toward Laura prompted her to call the police. The two policemen who responded did not seem to be impressed with Lewis’ effort to defend his anger with the explanation “It’s my right to be happy.” After evaluating the situation the policemen discussed with him the need for self-control, warned him about the potential for violence, and encouraged him to pursue professional counseling. Another trip to their residence would probably result in his arrest. To get rid of the policemen Lewis promised to seek professional help although he knew that he would never carry through with the promise, simply because he was not the real problem. He believed that Laura was the one who was failing to do what she should do to make him happy through accommodating and satisfying what he wanted. Her treatment of him seemed unfair, and he was not happy.

During the three-year marriage Laura’s frustration level also continued to escalate. She was growing weary of Lewis’ unrealistic expectations and the double standards he set up for their relationship. She knew that their relationship was very unhealthy, but her efforts to get Lewis to work on the marriage had been fruitless and futile. From her perspective Lewis was blind to his entitlement mindset that fed his self-centered attitude and selfish actions. Tragically, both spouses felt hopeless and saw little happiness in the future of their relationship. In their marital journey Lewis and Laura had collided with the Entitlement Roadblock.

When Laura first met Lewis she was not aware that he was traveling through life on the Entitlement Highway. Like his co-travelers Lewis believed that he possessed an inalienable right to happiness regardless of personal effort or life’s circumstances. Because of his entitlement mindset he frequently felt frustrated and angry as people and circumstances were not cooperative with his expectations and requirements. Driven by his inner belief system Lewis continued to create suffering for himself and for everyone with whom he had a personal relationship."

http://drbillbaker.com/index.php?opt...=11&Itemid=489
    Last edited by R_Baird; 01-01-2016 at 03:13 PM.

The numbers who die from prescribed drugs are staggering - more in one year than the US lost in Iraq and/or Afghanistan. Things are much worse than when this article referred to in the following link reported in 1998. The link provides solid alternatives.

"An article appeared in the Washington Post of April 1998, stating that..."106,000 people die annually in the U.S. from properly prescribed drugs." The article says that heart medications, blood thinners and chemotherapeutic agents cause the most deaths. This is an American tragedy and we hope the following information will be beneficial to healthcare professionals and others looking for alternatives."

http://www.life-sources.com/pages/Th...-Drugs....html

I have mentioned that Ritalin is a gateway drug in prior posts but the real issue is far worse. We label people and alienate them rather than help or care about them. Yes, our own families! I have detailed these matters in many ways and I have worked with Police who know Interventions are necessary but laws make it almost impossible. The following link will start to take you through the looking glass if you care enough to learn. It really only addresses one class or portion of the problem but the same ethic applies across the board.

"Labeling a child, "mentally ill," is like hanging a sign around his or her neck saying, "GARBAGE: take it away.", Thomas S. Szasz, M.D., Professor of Psychiatry.

How do children as young as eighteen months become drug addicts? The answer is they were "diagnosed" and labeled as having a new "mental illness." Pediatricians and psychiatrists then "treat the mental illness" with some of the most dangerous and addictive substances known to man. The result for far too many of these children is a personal disaster.

Today, under psychiatry's invented criteria, there isn't a single normal childhood activity which doesn't fall within the broad "symptoms" which comprise so-called "mental illness." Some of the labels are: Attention Deficit Disorder, Hyperactivity, Minimal Brain Dysfunction, Learning Disability, Impulse disorder, Developmental Reading Disorder, Developmental Writing Disorder, developmental Arithmetic Disorder."

http://www.uhuh.com/education/ritpsych.htm

When I may seem to be down on the Rothschild banksters, or ecclesiastical elites I am just as much against those who necessitate such behavior. That includes ignorant conspiracy theorists who maintain they have an inalienable right to bear arms and children. The Cabots and the Lodges made a lot of money through mining coal and such with slave laborers from Ireland - and that is bad; but they also did great things when they fostered the Rumford Institute for Mutual Instruction which we see in this doctoral thesis. Mutual Instruction and making room for students to teach each other and co-operate rather than always competing is an ethic still largely missing from our schools.

https://dlib.bc.edu/islandora/object...tream/PDF/view
    Last edited by R_Baird; 12-04-2015 at 10:04 PM.

The battle of importance you will not hear about in your news sources except when you are getting fed something warm and gooey is education of your soul. When did it start to be politically incorrect to discuss sex, religion and politics? Was it when the more intuitive among our species were made chattel during the time of Hammurabi, or was it when it was made law by the Catholic Empire in 397 AD? The war certainly was won by the hegemonists at the time they killed the Cathari.

Despite talking a good game and cutting back on teaching the Bible in school we are not making much progress. Will it be a different story when we get more benefit of technology?

"
    I. The Story of Mr. Porter

Public education is a political battlefield on which both teachers and children are at risk, especially children who live on the margins of our society. As I try to understand how teachers can protect their own integrity amid these dangers—so they can help protect the integrity of children, and of education itself—I return time and again to the memoirs of a man who grew up in Harlem during the 1920’s and 30’s.

He writes about the hardships of being a child in that time and place, about the poverty and despair that surrounded his young life, about the price that he and his community paid for the racism of American society. But he also writes about sources of light that illumined his future in the midst of what he calls “dark times”. Several public school teachers are at the top of his list, most notably…

…the never-to-be-forgotten Mr. Porter, my black math teacher, who soon gave up any attempt to teach me math. I had been born, apparently, with some kind of deformity that resulted in a total inability to count. From arithmetic to geometry, I never passed a single test. Porter took his failure very well and compensated for it by helping me run the school magazine. He assigned me a story about Harlem for this magazine, a story that he insisted demanded serious research. Porter took me downtown to the main branch of the public library at Forty-second Street and waited for me while I began my research. He was very proud of the story I eventually turned in. But I was so terrified that afternoon that I vomited all over his shoes in the subway.

The teachers I am talking about accepted my limits. I could begin to accept them without shame. I could trust them when they suggested the possibilities open to me…

I was an exceedingly shy, withdrawn, and uneasy student. Yet my teachers somehow made me believe that I could learn. And when I could scarcely see for myself any future at all, my teachers told me that the future was mine. 1

Those lines (not least, the feisty assertion that “Porter took his failure very well…”), speak deeply to me about the theme of this issue: teaching in ways “that enhance the human condition and advance social justice.” Those lines fill me with gratitude for all the Mr. Porter-like teachers who serve in American classrooms today. And they make me wonder how we can educate even more teachers of the sort Mr. Porter was.I feel certain that Mr. Porter knew mathematics well. I feel certain that Mr. Porter taught many students how to do math. But Mr. Porter’s self-definition as a teacher was not confined to his job description. He never stopped asking the most important question a teacher can ask: who is this child, and how can I nurture his or her gifts?We owe Mr. Porter a great debt of gratitude for these qualities of his heart and soul. For the student he guided toward writing was none other than the young James Baldwin, who went on to become one of the greatest writers of any time and any place.

II. Spirituality in Education

As James Baldwin tells it, the story of Mr. Porter contains no spiritual language. But it is, I believe, a story about spirituality in public education. “Spirituality” is an elusive word with a variety of definitions—some compelling, some wifty, some downright dangerous. The definition I have found most helpful is simply this: spirituality is the eternal human yearning to be connected with something larger than our own egos."

http://www.couragerenewal.org/parker...eart-and-soul/
    Last edited by R_Baird; 11-30-2015 at 09:01 AM.