Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learning Styles and The Testing Industry

Mr. Baird,

Obviously, I am unable to respond to this thread in its entirity.

Nonetheless, wanted to say some positive words about some changes going on.

A few months ago, I heard about a school in an underprivileged neighborhood that was about to close, due to low attendance and test scores. Then some innovative thinkers got together a plan to incorporate music/art in every subject. Now how exciting is that!!!

Now, it they could just take it a step further with some of your listed ideas and those of the Montessori schools....

Here is a response to a person trying to suggest he got wise before I did.

What religious indoctrination do you assume I had. At age four during an 'Is God Dead' discourse with my father and another adult, that adult commented on something I said. He said "out of the mouths of babes". MY father threw him off our property and banished him from our presence and community for the rest of time.

Glad to hear you got wise to the brainwashing and enforcement tactics at age 13. What happened to you would have been a better story if you had been able to reduce your propagandizing enemy of freedom to a quivering mass and if you had demonstrated mercy in not sending that person to a mental word.

Next year I was put in the class of the head of the English Department who had been a university teacher. It was very early in the first semester and we were taking The Wasteland. A person of demonstrated intellect who regularly got top marks in every year of the four preceding years we were in high school together (I think he was even younger than me - I was never skipped because in my public school areas it was not allowed. I had been put in grade eight from grade six but had to waste the year thereafter.) had an older sister in this class. She was a feminist and maybe a lesbian - according to gossip and the same kind of alienating things that calling a person The Devil Incarnate achieves.

She said what she thought T. S. Eliot meant. I was impressed by her insight and wisdom. The teacher told her he was going to put the question on the exam and if she answered it the way she did he would take marks off. I went to the university library on the way I often walked home. I regularly missed every third day due to a full time 40 hour a week job in a factory. I returned to class the next time with 7 or 9 books from scholars who agreed with what she said. I told the professor he was going to face educational review committees and the media if he followed through on his tyrannical threats.

Will education adapt quickly to new research that indicates how our intuition or soul is real - in mechanistic ways? They have denied the existence of these things for many centuries and suppressed (burned at the stake) any use of it.

And you may think I am berserk to claim a connection exists with the soul or spirit, also known as the mind. But that is what I have said ever since I noticed the lymph system is connected with psychic points in my 20s. I could say I told you so. No I will say I told you so. It will be good to see the brain-mapping done at Harvard which shows yogis and mystics in states of esoteric bliss and healing, integrated with consciousness and this study.

"In a stunning discovery that overturns decades of textbook teaching, researchers at the University of Virginia School of Medicine have determined that the brain is directly connected to the immune system by vessels previously thought not to exist.

That such vessels could have escaped detection when the lymphatic system has been so thoroughly mapped throughout the body is surprising on its own, but the true significance of the discovery lies in the effects it could have on the study and treatment of neurological diseases ranging from autism to Alzheimer’s disease to multiple sclerosis.

“Instead of asking, ‘How do we study the immune response of the brain?,’ ‘Why do multiple sclerosis patients have the immune attacks?,’ now we can approach this mechanistically – because the brain is like every other tissue connected to the peripheral immune system through meningeal lymphatic vessels,” said Jonathan Kipnis, a professor in U.Va.’s Department of Neuroscience and director of U.Va.’s Center for Brain Immunology and Glia. “It changes entirely the way we perceive the neuro-immune interaction. We always perceived it before as something esoteric that can’t be studied. But now we can ask mechanistic questions."

He added, “We believe that for every neurological disease that has an immune component to it, these vessels may play a major role. [It’s] hard to imagine that these vessels would not be involved in a [neurological] disease with an immune component.”

Kevin Lee, who chairs the Department of Neuroscience, described his reaction to the discovery by Kipnis’ lab: “The first time these guys showed me the basic result, I just said one sentence: ‘They’ll have to change the textbooks.’ There has never been a lymphatic system for the central nervous system, and it was very clear from that first singular observation – and they’ve done many studies since then to bolster the finding – that it will fundamentally change the way people look at the central nervous system’s relationship with the immune system.”"

http://news.virginia.edu/content/res...-immune-system
    Last edited by R_Baird; 01-12-2016 at 06:58 AM.