Thread: Eat Your Ritalin, Don't ask questions

Angry Eat Your Ritalin, Don't ask questions

HMMM. Which is it? Go to school to get brainwashed enough to want to become a prostitute to get a degree? Or try to learn how to think and question authority - which will lead to you having to take Ritalin? When Shrub was president he advocated that every American get tested for mental issues so they could all get therapy such as the drugs his father's Eli Lilly Corp directorship produced. But they lied about testing those drugs like Prozac when called before regulators in the senate. No person should ever graduate high school if they have not read Stopping Valium. It shows how doctors are motivated and bought off as well as being ignorant just like the start of this video portrays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDJxHfKX-lU

Walter Cronkite is a rare breed and we saw him depart our TV screen far too early in my opinion. Here is part of his observation about the Bush regime of unilateral domination and disregard for international accords. "The unilateralism has been a virtual addiction - a truculent constant in a presidency otherwise marked by inconstancy."

Patch Adams offered his free services to test Shrub when he said he wanted every American to be tested.

See Patch in person here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdCrPBqQALc

Please click on the legend below the initial posts to see a discussion with medical people who eventually had to agree with me despite being encouraged to do otherwise by flamers who acted as if they knew something - yet did not. Here is a post from that person.

"Government backed drug use is disgusting, I know. What worries me even more is DOCTOR backed drug use - doctors that receive a commission every time they prescribe a certain drug - drug companies that literally pay doctors to hand out their medicines. The authority that doctors have is partially necessary, but people tend to accept blindly what their MD tells them, and that is not a safe thing to do. I have seen several under-tested and misdiagnosed conditions in even my schools clinic - and yes, misquoting a bursitis as a tendinitis isn't overly dangerous, but it's the tip of the iceberg.

I've had a client on seven different medications, who consistently stated that they "weren't doing anything", and massage, for instance was "the only thing that works". But a doctor told this person to take these meds, and take them they did. I won't get into the myriad of side-effects this poor person had to deal with every day, for questionable relief. But this is the way our western medicine works."

Here is a capsule comment I made.

"One woman was thrown in jail for refusing to allow her child to take Ritalin (Utah). Ritalin causes heart disease according to a Michigan Pathologist.

The Government pays local school boards per student diagnosed with ADHD and thus there have been huge increases of the diagnoses and therefore treatment by use of Ritalin (a gateway drug).

Some governments are paying parents who have said children on Ritalin.

There are valid and effective alternatives to help focus the attention and many cases where the boredom is generated by the lack of true teaching going on. Teachers are not taught how to teach (see Kaoru Yamamoto of the University of Colorado) they are taught how to test."

http://brainmeta.com/forum/index.php...aded&pid=24229
    Last edited by R_Baird; 11-28-2015 at 01:17 AM.

Threats by helpful schools who do not disclose the extra money they receive for every student on ADHD meds is worse than torture - it can be murder. And the amount received by school boards varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction but almost always it pays for psychologists to do what they are told to do - get more kids on Ritalin. In boys math should not even be taught until after age seven, except to explain it's usefulness and allow them to seek answers as they find interest.

"Our fourteen year old son Matthew suddenly died on March 21, 2000. The cause of death was determined to be from the long-term (age 7-14) use of Methylphenidate, a drug commonly known as Ritalin.

According to Dr. Ljuba Dragovic, the Chief Pathologist of Oakland County, Michigan, upon autopsy, Matthew's heart showed clear signs of small vessel damage caused from the use of Methylphenidate (Ritalin).

*The certificate of death reads: "Death caused from Long Term Use of Methylphenidate, Ritalin."

I was told by one of the medical examiners that a full-grown man's heart weighs about 350 grams and that Matthew's heart's weight was about 402 grams. Dr. Dragovic said this type of heart damage is smoldering and not easily detected with the standard test done for prescription refills. The standard test usually consists of blood work, listening to the heart, and questions about school behaviors, sleeping and eating habits.

*What is important to note here is that Matthew did not have any pre-existing heart condition or defect.

Matthew's story started in a small town within Berkley, Michigan. While in first grade Matthew was evaluated by the school, who believed he had ADHD. The school social worker kept calling us in for meetings. One morning at one of these meetings while waiting for the others to arrive, Monica told us that if we refused to take Matthew to the doctor and get him on Ritalin, child protective services could charge us for neglecting his educational and emotional needs. My wife and I were intimidated and scared. We believed that there was a very real possibility of losing our children if we did not comply with the schools threats.

Monica further explained ADHD to us, stating that it was a real brain disorder. She also went on to tell us that the Methylphenidate (Ritalin) was a very mild medication and would stimulate the brain stem and help Matthew focus."

http://www.ritalindeath.com/

If you are a school that is failing to get good test scores and you are under pressure as it's administration or parents - what would you do? Your choices are:

1. Learn how to do your job - teach interesting subjects to interested students, and engage the community to help.

2. Hire teachers who have been taught how to teach - but they are not available and no schooling system in America teaches how to teach - they teach testing. See Kuiper's Social Science Encyclopedia.

3. Teach teachers to teach and get parents involved in remedial education classes so they can volunteer and help.

4. Blame ADHD and the parents or others.

The number of boys being diagnosed is far larger than the number of girls - why? Because boys are more likely to challenge teachers or act in a manner thought to be inattentive. Or could it be they are bored with taking classes that don't interest them while girls are socially more engaged in other things at school? In my case teachers would ask me questions as I appeared to sleep due to boredom. I would then answer the question and question the method and manner that the question was formulated. Usually I had read the whole year's texts before each year began (Brothers who took the classes in front of me.) and some additional materials if I found it interesting. The kids who did not have their homework done would ask me to talk about the subject with the teacher so they would not get questioned.

When I went to school teachers did not have the ADD or ADHD stick to threaten me with. Schools also get paid based on attendance and I hear this is even more true today. I missed every third day of school - knowing the teachers always repeated themselves in the spiral of education methodology. When my father was brought in to address what the administration did not like about my frequent absence and lesser marks than I might have gotten - he told them he trusted I had better things to do, was getting good grades despite poor teaching methods and never to bother him again unless they wanted legal action.

"Why French Kids Don't Have ADHD

French children don't need medications to control their behavior.

Post published by Marilyn Wedge Ph.D. on Mar 08, 2012 in Suffer the Children

In the United States, at least 9 percent of school-aged children have been diagnosed with ADHD, and are taking pharmaceutical medications. In France, the percentage of kids diagnosed and medicated for ADHD is less than .5 percent. How has the epidemic of ADHD—firmly established in the U.S.—almost completely passed over children in France?

Is ADHD a biological-neurological disorder? Surprisingly, the answer to this question depends on whether you live in France or in the U.S. In the United States, child psychiatrists consider ADHD to be a biological disorder with biological causes. The preferred treatment is also biological—psycho stimulant medications such as Ritalin and Adderall.

French child psychiatrists, on the other hand, view ADHD as a medical condition that has psycho-social and situational causes. Instead of treating children's focusing and behavioral problems with drugs, French doctors prefer to look for the underlying issue that is causing the child distress—not in the child's brain but in the child's social context. They then choose to treat the underlying social context problem with psychotherapy or family counseling. This is a very different way of seeing things from the American tendency to attribute all symptoms to a biological dysfunction such as a chemical imbalance in the child's brain.

French child psychiatrists don't use the same system of classification of childhood emotional problems as American psychiatrists. They do not use the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders or DSM. According to Sociologist Manuel Vallee, the French Federation of Psychiatry developed an alternative classification system as a resistance to the influence of the DSM-3. This alternative was the CFTMEA (Classification Française des Troubles Mentaux de L'Enfant et de L'Adolescent), first released in 1983, and updated in 1988 and 2000. The focus of CFTMEA is on identifying and addressing the underlying psychosocial causes of children's symptoms, not on finding the best pharmacological bandaids with which to mask symptoms.

To the extent that French clinicians are successful at finding and repairing what has gone awry in the child's social context, fewer children qualify for the ADHD diagnosis. Moreover, the definition of ADHD is not as broad as in the American system, which, in my view, tends to "pathologize" much of what is normal childhood behavior. The DSM specifically does not consider underlying causes. It thus leads clinicians to give the ADHD diagnosis to a much larger number of symptomatic children, while also encouraging them to treat those children with pharmaceuticals.

The French holistic, {Such a word - also seen as Wholistic; it includes recognition of ALL factors which includes a soul - the American psychiatrists overwhelmingly reject.} psychosocial approach also allows for considering nutritional causes for ADHD-type symptoms—specifically the fact that the behavior of some children is worsened after eating foods with artificial colors, certain preservatives, and/or allergens. Clinicians who work with troubled children in this country—not to mention parents of many ADHD kids—are well aware that dietary interventions can sometimes help a child's problem. In the U.S., the strict focus on pharmaceutical treatment of ADHD, however, encourages clinicians to ignore the influence of dietary factors on children's behavior.

And then, of course, there are the vastly different philosophies of child-rearing in the U.S. and France. These divergent philosophies could account for why French children are generally better-behaved than their American counterparts. Pamela Druckerman highlights the divergent parenting styles in her recent book, Bringing up Bébé. I believe her insights are relevant to a discussion of why French children are not diagnosed with ADHD in anything like the numbers we are seeing in the U.S."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...dont-have-adhd
    Last edited by R_Baird; 01-06-2016 at 10:09 AM.

Frontline brings us news of babies in Ritalin trials!!!!!!!

"In February 2000, University of Maryland researcher Julie Magno Zito published a report in the Journal of the American Medical Association which found that psychotropic medications such as Ritalin and Adderall were being prescribed to preschoolers at alarmingly high rates, especially considering that many of the drugs have not been approved by the FDA for use in children under 6, and there's little research about their effects on young children.

Zito examined data from two state Medicaid programs and a health maintenance organization, and found that as many as 1.5 percent of children between the ages of 2 and 4 were being prescribed stimulants, anti-depressants, or anti-psychotic drugs. The findings suggested that prescription rates had increased as much as 50 percent between 1990 and 1995. Although the study did not identify which conditions the children were being treated for, in the Washington Post, Zito said she believed that the rise in prescription rates for very young children was definitely related to the recent national increase in Ritalin prescriptions for school-aged children.

Zito's report drew strong media coverage and also attracted the attention of Hillary Clinton, who embarked on a campaign to learn more about the effects of drugs like Ritalin on preschoolers. Subsequently, the National Institute of Mental Health gave $6 million to a consortium of six institutions, led by Dr. Laurence Greenhill of Columbia University, to conduct a five-stage, 40-week study on Ritalin use in preschoolers. This is the first extensive study to be done on this issue.

The Preschool ADHD Treatment Study (PATS) will examine dosing issues, side effects questions, and the efficacy of Ritalin in preschool aged children. As of April 2001, the recruitment of children into the study is underway at the six sites across the country. The effort is to find out how well children ages 3-6 do on a trial of methylphenidate in the short term and over the relative long term (1 year). In order to compare how Ritalin affects younger children to older children, the study will also recruit subjects between 6 and 8 years old.

Some critics have expressed concerns about the recruitment process, saying that it may be hard to diagnose ADHD in such young children. Dr. Howard Abikoff, who is heading up the study at one of the sites at the NYU Child Study Center, says those concerns, while valid, have been addressed by the design of the study. Subjects are required to show persistent symptoms of ADHD for 9 months, rather than the 6 months required by the DSM-IV criteria. Subjects must be attending a school-type setting, and data must be gathered from a teacher or professional in that setting, rather than parents alone. And finally, before a subject is approved for the study, the parents undergo a 10-week training in behavioral therapy specifically designed for parents young kids with ADHD. The child is then reevaluated, and if he or she no longer meets the criteria, will not be considered for the study. "We are not interested in putting children on medication for whom there is not an obvious need," Abikoff said."

The tests apparently expanded and took longer to prove whatever the designer's of the test were seeking to prove. Try looking up the Tuskegee Experiment and making an ethical comparison. Ramp up the doses when the kids act up!!!!

"October 16, 2006 • Press Release

The first long-term, large-scale study designed to determine the safety and effectiveness of treating preschoolers who have attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) with methylphenidate (Ritalin) has found that overall, low doses of this medication are effective and safe. However, the study found that children this age are more sensitive than older children to the medication's side effects and therefore should be closely monitored. The 70-week, six-site study was funded by the National Institutes of Health's National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and was described in several articles in the November 2006 issue of the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.

"The Preschool ADHD Treatment Study, or PATS, provides us with the best information to date about treating very young children diagnosed with ADHD," said NIMH Director Thomas R. Insel, MD. "The results show that preschoolers may benefit from low doses of medication when it is closely monitored, but the positive effects are less evident and side-effects are somewhat greater than previous reports in older children."

Methylphenidate is the most commonly prescribed medication to treat children diagnosed with ADHD. But its use for children younger than 6 years has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. And until PATS, very few studies—and no large-scale ones—have been conducted to collect reliable, consistent data to help guide practitioners treating preschoolers with ADHD.

The 303 preschoolers enrolled in the study ranged in age from 3 to 5 years. The children and their parents participated in a pre-trial, 10-week behavioral therapy and training course. Only those children with the most extreme ADHD symptoms who did not improve after the behavioral therapy course and whose parents agreed to have them treated with medication were included in the medication study. In the first part of the medication study, the children took a range of doses from a very low amount of 3.75 mg daily of methylphenidate, administered in three equal doses, up to 22.5 mg/day. By comparison, doses for school-aged children usually range from 15 to 50 mg total daily.

The study then compared the effectiveness of methylphenidate to placebo. It found that the children taking methylphenidate had a more marked reduction of their ADHD symptoms compared to children taking a placebo, and that different children responded best to different doses.

"The best dose to reduce ADHD symptoms varied substantially among the children, but the average across the whole group was as low as 14 mg per day," said lead author Laurence Greenhill, M.D., of Columbia University/New York State Psychiatric Institute. "Preschoolers with ADHD may need only a low dose of methylphenidate initially, but they may need to take a higher dose later on to maintain the drug's effectiveness."

To ensure the safety of the very young children involved, the study was governed by a strict set of ethical standards and additional review boards. The children's health was monitored carefully and repeatedly throughout the study's duration. Their parents were repeatedly consulted for consent prior to every step of the program. The researchers also reviewed the teacher ratings of the children who attended preschool at various stages in the study.

Similar to 1999 results found in NIMH's Multimodal Treatment Study of Children with ADHD (MTA study), and other studies on school-aged children, the medication did appear to slow the preschoolers' growth rates. Throughout the duration of the study, the children grew about half an inch less in height and weighed about 3 pounds less than expected, based on average growth rates established prior to the study.

Currently, no data exist that track long-term growth rate changes among preschoolers with ADHD who are medicated with methylphenidate. However, a five-year-long follow-up study is underway to track the children's physical, cognitive, and behavioral development, as well as health care services the family is using to care for the child. Those data will be available in two to three years."

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/science...dication.shtml
    Last edited by R_Baird; 12-19-2015 at 05:36 PM.

I mentioned the Tuskegee Experiment and if you browse for it you might think it was the Airmen I was referring to. That was an education in racism too, as the movies show. Don't accept this academic whitewash describing it as a bad study outside the bounds of good epidemiology - https://books.google.ca/books?id=yyr...2vd%22&f=false - there were many similar uses of human guinea pigs and uninformed consent going on around the world. Mengele's Germany was the only nation with regulations and laws against human experimentation. Mt. Sinai, Saskatchewan, Massachusetts orphans and MANY more.

What is being done to make your kids and their friends into drug addicted diseased and disturbed kids is just as serious. Just as many kids on Ritalin will end their life or die of heart disease as the blacks given syphilis for most of the 20th Century experienced. True the passing of the disease will only be on street corners where Ritalin and other drugs are sold - your kid won't be exposed to that??!! It will be someone else's kid, of course.

If you have a child you would take a bullet for - as the Esquire article following, suggests. And you are not a suicidal drug-user yourself who has already been mind-phucked by having drugs pushed down your throat, as many people I tried to help have been. Why don't you do something to the terrorists? You would probably do something if a terrorist attacked your family or you were asked to go to war to protect your family from a boogey man who has also been mind-phucked. Does any of this sound like 1984 by George Orwell? Do you remember thinking when you read that good and prophetic book that YOU would do something? These terrorists have a 'smiling face' and tell you they are trying to help your kid. As the song says - 'smiling faces, tell lies, they don't tell the truth'. Ronald Reagan was right to observe that the scariest thing you'll ever hear is "I'm from the government and here to help you."

"Imagine you have a six-year-old son. A little boy for whom you are responsible. A little boy you would take a bullet for, a little boy in whom you search for glimpses of yourself, and hope every day that he will turn out just like you, only better. A little boy who would do anything to make you happy. Now imagine that little boy—your little boy—alone in his bed in the night, eyes wide with fear, afraid to move, a frightening and unfamiliar voice echoing in his head, afraid to call for you. Imagine him shivering because he hasn't eaten all day because he isn't hungry. His head is pounding. He doesn't know why any of this is happening.

Now imagine that he is suffering like this because of a mistake. Because a doctor examined him for twelve minutes, looked at a questionnaire on which you had checked some boxes, listened to your brief and vague report that he seemed to have trouble sitting still in kindergarten, made a diagnosis for a disorder the boy doesn't have, and wrote a prescription for a powerful drug he doesn't need.

If you have a son in America, there is an alarming probability that this has happened or will happen to you."

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...ican-boy-0414/
    Last edited by R_Baird; 12-19-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Of course many parents can't question the authorities and they never learned how to research, read with comprehension or think. Guess what they do? They give their kids Ritalin even if they have to buy it on the gray market, street, or internet. Maybe they get a package deal alongside the drugs they use to self-medicate.

"Pushy parents are giving healthy children Ritalin bought on the Internet in an attempt to boost their exam performance, a leading psychologist claimed.

They believe the potent hyperactivity drug will prolong their children's concentration at school, while studying at home and in the exam hall itself.

But they are risking serious health complications ranging from inadvertent over-dosing to sleeplessness and loss of appetite, warned Paul Cooper, professor of education at Leicester University.

There is also no way of checking whether drugs bought over the Internet are counterfeit.

Professor Cooper, a chartered psychologist, made his claims in a speech over the growing use of so-called "smart drugs" to enhance children's performance in the classroom.

Ritalin is prescribed to treat those with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, which is characterised by an inability to focus on specific tasks.

The drug helps increase alertness and improve aspects of concentration and memory.

But Professor Cooper believes growing numbers of parents are administering it to children themselves without a diagnosis from a doctor.

They may be concerned their children are bored, restless or distracted and convince themselves they could benefit from Ritalin treatment.

His warning comes at a time of mounting concern over levels of exam stress faced by pupils amid intense competition for top grades and places at elite universities.

He said: "We are moving into a phase now where informed parents can bypass the medical profession, go online and prescribe the drug themselves.

"I have anecdotal evidence a number of parents in this country have done it. I know of three parents who have done this in one state secondary school alone. If that is just one school, it is being replicated on a massive scale.

"If parents are prepared to put their lives into turmoil by moving house to be near a good school or lying about where they live, why not also use drugs? It seems educational attainment at any cost is desirable."

He added that some parents may believe their children need extra time in exams because of mild ADHD but have been unable to gain a diagnosis.

Emboldened by marketing claims Ritalin is safe, they are prepared to order the medication themselves from online drug stores.

"My personal view is that any claim these heavy-duty psychotropic drugs are safe has to be questionable," he said."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...exam-time.html

You really MUST read all of this article to see how bad things have gotten in our world. It has not gotten better and it is getting worse.

http://www.madinamerica.com/2013/06/...adhd-outcomes/
    Last edited by R_Baird; 12-21-2015 at 08:07 AM.

I hope the drug companies will have to pay for damages just like Tobacco companies had to pay. But class action suits are much more difficult to get court approval for after Patriot Act II. Some people need to go to jail for lying about tests or for testing the uninformed humans and children they are abusing. The numbers who die from prescribed drugs are staggering - more in one year than the US lost in Iraq and/or Afghanistan. Things are much worse than when this article referred to in the following link reported in 1998. The link provides solid alternatives.

"An article appeared in the Washington Post of April 1998, stating that..."106,000 people die annually in the U.S. from properly prescribed drugs." The article says that heart medications, blood thinners and chemotherapeutic agents cause the most deaths. This is an American tragedy and we hope the following information will be beneficial to healthcare professionals and others looking for alternatives."

http://www.life-sources.com/pages/Th...-Drugs....html

A friend I have discussed the issues above with sent me this after a couple of long-winded exchanges.

"Read this
    ...http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle10812604/

It's an article I read a couple of years ago in the globe and mail."

Quoting the article we have:

"The chances of a patient winning a medical malpractice lawsuit against a doctor in Canada are slim, according to a new book entitled After the Error: Speaking Out About Patient Safety to Save Lives.

The book, put together by microbiologist Susan McIver and retired nurse Robin Wyndham, contains a collection of stories about patients who said they suffered from medical errors while being treated in the health-care system. Citing various studies, the authors say these mistakes contribute to between 38,000 and 43,000 deaths in Canada each year and many more individuals suffer serious harm.

One chapter, by Halifax lawyer John McKiggan, focuses on the ability of patients to obtain financial compensation through the courts. He writes that every medical error, known as an “adverse event,” is a potential malpractice case. Although exact numbers are hard to come by, McKiggan estimates that medical errors could theoretically generate over 100,000 lawsuits every year. Yet relatively few errors result in litigation. From 2005 to 2010, only 4,524 lawsuits were filed against Canadian doctors. During that five-year period, 3,089 claims were dismissed or abandoned “because the court dismissed the claim or the victim or the victim’s family quit, ran out of money or died before trial,” according to McKiggan.

And out of 521 cases that went to trial, only 116 led to a judgment that favoured the patient. And the median damage awarded was just $117,000, he noted."

My brother fought a lawyer malpractice case for over 25 years. It ended about five years ago. Papering over is the name of the game as they drive up your costs and employ the insurance company they own (That is also a conflict of interest as far as I am concerned.) and made errors there which caused a continuation of the original lawsuit due to conflicts of interest and his lawyer's and arbitrators having to withdraw. He spent about a million and 40 hours a week (yes, for every year). An expert he had paid his LA lawyer to bring aboard never got the money - that lawyer was a cocaine addict and stole the money out of a trust. He could have sued that law firm and won a lot easier case.

The doctors sue their own and bring charges against them all the time. Just being taken off the medical rolls can end a career. Good luck getting an expert witness which the courts require. Most forensic medical witnesses are also lawyers or are at least fellow members of some organization.

In Canada all the legislators seem to have been lawyers - maybe 88% at one time. THAT is also a conflict of interest. Although lawyers are allowed to take cases on contingency - it does not happen very often in Canada. But in the case of my sister-in-law getting the first recorded case of West Nile and the class action suit she could have joined which my brother wanted her to do. She needed every ounce of energy to beat the disease - which amazingly she did. How many people could put in the time to be in court and fight such a case?

I have mentioned that Ritalin is a gateway drug in prior posts but the real issue is far worse. We label people and alienate them rather than help or care about them. Yes, our own families! I have detailed these matters in many ways and I have worked with Police who know Interventions are necessary but laws make it almost impossible. The following link will take you through the looking glass if you care enough to learn.

http://www.uhuh.com/education/ritpsych.htm
    Last edited by R_Baird; 12-19-2015 at 10:28 PM.

James Baldwin was lucky he had no government agency forcing Ritalin down his throat when Mr. Porter taught what he needed rather than what the government dictated.

It is so sad that we pay drug pushers to abuse us and butchers to cut open our bodies. So many healers are not only more capable and disciplined they actually prevent further harm. There is a place for modern medicine but Dr. Zoltan Rona (Search for him and Daniel Matt as well as Emotu - here, to get more about all these matters.) gets it right when he says our vaunted modern medicine "is a blip" on the history of the healing arts.

The battle of importance you will not hear about in your news sources except when you are getting fed something warm and gooey is education of your soul. When did it start to be politically incorrect to discuss sex, religion and politics? Was it when the more intuitive among our species were made chattel during the time of Hammurabi, or was it when it was made law by the Catholic Empire in 397 AD? The war certainly was won by the hegemonists at the time they killed the Cathari.

Despite talking a good game and cutting back on teaching the Bible in school we are not making much progress. Will it be a different story when we get more benefit of technology?

" I. The Story of Mr. Porter

Public education is a political battlefield on which both teachers and children are at risk, especially children who live on the margins of our society. As I try to understand how teachers can protect their own integrity amid these dangers—so they can help protect the integrity of children, and of education itself—I return time and again to the memoirs of a man who grew up in Harlem during the 1920’s and 30’s.

He writes about the hardships of being a child in that time and place, about the poverty and despair that surrounded his young life, about the price that he and his community paid for the racism of American society. But he also writes about sources of light that illumined his future in the midst of what he calls “dark times”. Several public school teachers are at the top of his list, most notably…

…the never-to-be-forgotten Mr. Porter, my black math teacher, who soon gave up any attempt to teach me math. I had been born, apparently, with some kind of deformity that resulted in a total inability to count. From arithmetic to geometry, I never passed a single test. Porter took his failure very well and compensated for it by helping me run the school magazine. He assigned me a story about Harlem for this magazine, a story that he insisted demanded serious research. Porter took me downtown to the main branch of the public library at Forty-second Street and waited for me while I began my research. He was very proud of the story I eventually turned in. But I was so terrified that afternoon that I vomited all over his shoes in the subway.

The teachers I am talking about accepted my limits. I could begin to accept them without shame. I could trust them when they suggested the possibilities open to me…

I was an exceedingly shy, withdrawn, and uneasy student. Yet my teachers somehow made me believe that I could learn. And when I could scarcely see for myself any future at all, my teachers told me that the future was mine. 1

Those lines (not least, the feisty assertion that “Porter took his failure very well…”), speak deeply to me about the theme of this issue: teaching in ways “that enhance the human condition and advance social justice.” Those lines fill me with gratitude for all the Mr. Porter-like teachers who serve in American classrooms today. And they make me wonder how we can educate even more teachers of the sort Mr. Porter was. I feel certain that Mr. Porter knew mathematics well. I feel certain that Mr. Porter taught many students how to do math. But Mr. Porter’s self-definition as a teacher was not confined to his job description. He never stopped asking the most important question a teacher can ask: who is this child, and how can I nurture his or her gifts? We owe Mr. Porter a great debt of gratitude for these qualities of his heart and soul. For the student he guided toward writing was none other than the young James Baldwin, who went on to become one of the greatest writers of any time and any place.

II. Spirituality in Education

As James Baldwin tells it, the story of Mr. Porter contains no spiritual language. But it is, I believe, a story about spirituality in public education. “Spirituality” is an elusive word with a variety of definitions—some compelling, some wifty, some downright dangerous. The definition I have found most helpful is simply this: spirituality is the eternal human yearning to be connected with something larger than our own egos."

http://www.couragerenewal.org/parker...eart-and-soul/
    Last edited by R_Baird; 12-19-2015 at 05:02 PM.

I just blew my running nose into some toilet paper after watching Gentleman's Agreement again. I threw it into the toilet and flushed it away just as I would have liked to flush away any memory of all the bigotry and hypocrisy that I have endured watching what people do to the supposedly weaker people all around them. This movie and it's script won all manner of awards and deserves to be used in schools along with many other great movies - if we wanted to change the ethic which rules our society.

No way I can hold a candle to the author's skill and it won't help me to say they shouldn't have stopped with anti-Semitism and racism. The Einsteinian professor who pointed out there are no Jews that science can prove and no god his science could accept; was a delight to hear as he pointed out the differences between Zionism and brotherhood. Gregory Peck's fiancé or John Garfield as the Jewish buddy telling her that is what a man wants in a wife - a buddy to help him deal with the hard times - I can't say there was any one moment that made me well up and sniffle.

I feel the same way when I engage in my fight against misogyny or the supposed mentally ill and disabled victims of the same ego and upside down stinking-thinking. I can write a mountain of words proving alienation and corruption are problems beyond the blame of any one group or ideology. I can lay out a plan that would answer all the problems and even give a decent attempt at prioritizing those problems so everyone can believe we can change the world. But I can't really make much difference. I have tried so long it hurts.

The mother just had a stroke and had read the article Peck had written about being a Jew for eight weeks. She said his father would have loved to read how he saw freedom as central to the cause of Brotherhood. He said he couldn't blame the bigots any more than the Cathies (His fiancé) and those who made the Gentleman's Agreements to avoid facing the problems. The problem is being polite - not facing the intensity he felt and energy he needed to address the false politeness or political correctness. LORD do I know this part in the play of life.

But Garfield met his fiancé and agreed to move his family to her home where she could fight the bigots if she heard any of them talking. That is why I need to go blow my nose and dry my eyes again! The mother then said maybe the 20th Century would be the century of the people. Sorry I am to testify - things are worse, because people still think that way. Yes, the blacks and Jews are freer but remember To Kill a Mockingbird and Robert Duvall's heroic portrayal of a mental deficient. Remember Einstein was a dyslexic - remember Ritalin!

http://www.dyslexiavancouver.com/?gc...FcRgfgodUBIAyQ

What if I told you there is a toxic effect built up from eating the wrong foods which is worse for sensitive people or people with a sensitivity to certain mixtures of metabolic intakes. Environmental medicine is one of the terms used to demean people who work alternative approaches to cures and healing. The real quacks are often the people who demean healers before doing the research and asking questions about their own brainwashed therapies or pushing of drugs.

"By now you’ve probably heard that sugar is bad for you. Practically everywhere you read, there’s a new article talking about the metabolic effects of sugar on belly fat, your brain and your child’s risk for developing ADD.

However you slice it, there’s no two ways about it: sugar is bad for you. The biochemical machine in which you live was not designed to process table sugar.

That being said, I am still amazed at the number of people who consume products that contain artificial sweeteners derived from sugar. Intellectually, most people would agree that sugar is bad for them, but yet sugar is present at most meals in a disguised form.

Food manufacturers have become increasingly intelligent, and have now disguised the word sugar by using names that consumers do not recognize. More importantly, food manufacturers trick consumers outright, and promote these artificial sweeteners as being healthy.

What is a Sugarnym?

Here I have compiled a list of over 50 synonyms for sugar. I call these “sugarnyms.” These artificial sweeteners are practically everywhere, and are incredibly easy to ingest. They are found in packaged, bottled and boxed products in the grocery store.

sugarnym

Worse off, sugarnyms are in your kitchen cupboards. They are in your pantry. They are in your refrigerator. They are in your office desk. The sugarnyms highlighted in bold below are found in many commonly eaten food products:
    •Barley malt
    •Beet sugar
    •Brown sugar
    •Buttered syrup
    •Cane juice crystals
    •Cane sugar
    •Caramel
    •Corn syrup
    •Corn syrup solids
    •Confectioner’s sugar
    •Carob syrup
    •Castor sugar
    •Date sugar
    •Dextran
    •Dextrose
    •Diastatic malt
    •Ethyl maltol
    •Fructorse
    •Galactose
    •Glucose
    •Glucose solids
    •Golden sugar
    •Solden syrup
    •Grape sugar
    •High fructose corn syrup
    •Honey
    •Icing sugar
    •Invert sugar
    •Lactose
    •Maltodextrin
    •Maltose
    •Malt syrup
    •Maple srup
    •Molasses
    •Muscovado sugar
    •Panocha
    •Raw sugar
    •Refiner’s syrup
    •Sorbitol
    •Sorghum syrup
    •Sucrose
    •Sucralose
    •Sugar
    •Treacle
    •Turbinado sugar
    •Yellow sugar

A Harmless Trip to the Grocery Store

Just to prove how pervasive these sugarnyms are artificial sweeteners are, I took a quick trip to the grocery store and selected a number of products that I routinely see in the kitchens and fridges of my friends, family and clients. Don’t be fooled by the words “organic” or “hardworking” or “natural,” sugarnyms are all over the place:"

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/20...s-of-products/
    Last edited by R_Baird; 12-21-2015 at 07:40 PM.

I am happy to see Dr. Breggin writing more books addressing things he and his wife (Dr Cohen too) have covered in books like The Pill May Be Your Probem (Or was it THE problem). In this book he covers some of the frauds including the kids and parents selling the drug to get money for alcohol or other needs. I wonder if the schools will get money for handling parents and kids fighting over the money from Ritalin.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=JOR...italin&f=false

You have probably heard about the great advancements in technology which war has brought mankind. You probably know about Strughold/Green and MKUltra to some extent - but there is a far more intrusive aspect to all of this.

The founding of world organizations by Military interrogators and brainwashing experts is a sorry stage in the WHO as well as the whole of mental health and conditioning made a major objective in much of social engineering. I do not favour Freudian approaches and I am very aware that alternatives exist. In fact Ian Fleming's insight seen in the Bond movies about Tavistock always made me wonder, and I still wonder about all of psychiatry and the drugging of this world.

A key player in all of the creative social engineering is the Rockefeller Foundation who backed John Rawlings Rees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rawlings_Rees