Thread: Jimmy Carter on Health Care

Jimmy Carter on Health Care

I have a lot of respect for Jimmy Carter who faced tremendous opposition inside the Beltway when he took office. Almost every issue saw him lose his stated agenda. The Bureaucrats were ready with disinformation on defense spending; and all methods they could muster were on call. Here is a fair analysis in the case of medical care including many top legislators. I quote some of his words from the link herewith.

For most of my term, I fought the hospital and medical lobbyists, trying to initiate hospital-cost containment measures designed to insure adequate health care at a reasonable expense. This was not an unproven idea. Several states had already implemented such a system, with notable results: much lower costs to patients and adequately sustained profits for the hospitals and doctors.

I was never able to succeed in this effort, which would have saved the American people more than $50 billion (!) in the first 5 years-after leaving the hospitals free to raise their prices 50% faster than the prevailing inflation rate. In the final showdown, Congress was flooded with money, in the form of campaign contributions from the health industry.

http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/Jim...ealth_Care.htm

You might argue with the World Health Organization who does not place a high mark on alternative medicines and treatments but this is the very best ranking the countries of Canada and the US would get. Colombia is far ahead of them both.

http://thepatientfactor.com/canadian...ealth-systems/

The US debates on cost of health care and how the drug companies benefit from something really sick, is all over the place. Maybe soon the robots will handle the care of many elements of our society better than we do at a lower cost. It is already being done in Asian countries.

Using computers in the classroom is about to take a quantum leap forward. A computer will not lose it's cool and it could be programmed to only use necessary force according to the wishes of society. Maybe in Singapore they will use these techniques to keep people from spitting on sidewalks rather than what they do now. IN Japan it could replace the people packing other people into the subway cars.

The use of robots as companions is already underway in caring for the elderly in Japan and Singapore. There is a great deal more that will soon be done by robots - which with proper planning is a good thing. Put a cattle prod in it's arms and maybe it could teach a boring curriculum designed to make humans into robots, eh?

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/27/
    Last edited by R_Baird; 02-24-2016 at 12:16 PM.