Thread: Malaria

Malaria

More deaths come via malaria -which is spreading - than from Ebola or most any disease. Bad water is a more pernicious problem but it would not surprise me if the same family of anti-bacterials being harnessed to fight malaria will address that soon too.

Unfortunately for now I will have to take daily pill of Doxycycline it appears. Maybe I can get some in Cambodia through a clinical trial. I don't like taking stuff that decreases the function of my immune system by making it not have to fight off whatever comes my way. I also do not want an anti-bacterial killing good bacteria in my stomach - that is another area of medical ignorance which might soon be addressed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.2303036

Sounds so good maybe I will check it out before settling in Siem Riepp.

http://internationalliving.com/2013/...e-in-cambodia/

Even better.

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldet...9#availability
    Last edited by R_Baird; 12-28-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Central and South America have a new mosquito threat which has caused some babies to be born with a 20% smaller head and brain. It is a tiger striped mosquito and not yet in the US but it did originate in Africa.
    Last edited by R_Baird; 04-11-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: add content

Genetically engineered mosquitos could be a good thing if the food chain is not affected.

"If allowed, it would be the first time something like this is tried with mosquitoes in the U.S., and is aimed not at the recent surge in the Zika virus in Latin America but rather at dengue fever, another mosquito-borne disease that flared up in the U.S. in 2009 after decades of inactivity.

Oxitec calls its mosquitoes “self-limiting”: the male mosquitoes are genetically bred so when they mate with female mosquitoes, the offspring die. The male mosquitoes die off, too, so within six to eight weeks, the mosquitoes and their progeny are gone.

Mosquitoes seem like a prime candidate for eradication. Beneath their merely pesky appearance lies a disease-spreading agent, responsible for transmitting Zika virus and dengue but also chikungunya, West Nile virus, yellow fever and malaria."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/you...MW_latest_news
    Last edited by R_Baird; 04-20-2016 at 06:12 AM.

This is a different strategy but also aimed at the mosquito. Will something like this be useful in targeting ISIS members?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/2...1AB0B0B4A1B98B

Layover in China

I had never traveled to South East Asia and there were a few little issues with immigration and status as well as banking, costs of living and payola and malaria or disease which still bothered me. I had hopes of finding out about some human cultural origins things that have recently been discovered as well. The Steward on the Ferry was a frequent traveler to all countries in SE Asia and we had spoken at length. He said the motorcycle mania was a danger and the idea of running a business required ensuring the supplier network would not disappear. He agreed Cambodia was the least corrupt and cheapest place to live. I have run enough businesses and fought enough windmills so it was not so important, I told him. I am single and have pensions from Canada and the US so even if the first place was not going to be my home for a long time - I had many other places in mind. The possibility of adding purposeful input to the community was important but since I am a writer and blogger it does not matter where I am.

The food on the flight to Guangzhou was mediocre and I wondered if my nine hour layover would allow me to do some research on the human artifacts dated to 2.4 million years ago found in Southern China. I am developing a detailed involvement of the Ainu (1) on the civilization we have, and the Denisovan Man found near them a few years ago as well as other hominids might connect to entirely different hominids at that long a time ago. I knew we had reconfigured the size of the Homo Habilis brain and that there was little agreement on the Hobbit or Homo Florensis which I had predicted some years before it's discovery after seeing Alan Thorne's research on Mungo Man. I had not slept a wink on the long flight and was excited or apprehensive about what this adventure was about to bring. The temperature on the ground was over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and the airport was like a city of stores and bigger than a mall.

South China Airlines told me I was going to get a free room for the night because my stay would be more than a full day. This was the beginning of something special I felt as a buzz or tingling sensation went through my body. I thought I should not have to wait in the huge line up because I was checked through to another destination and fortunately I saw a sign in English that encouraged me to head towards it despite what I was being told by three people running the sheep into the main line up, The next person I spoke with understood English better and told me to fill out a visa form for my stay in China. It was hectic, but after about five minutes I was walking with another person who had been through this before and we were following the map the Chinese official had given to us.

This lady was a German born infectious disease scientist working in Japan. In the hour we spent helping each other get to where we would find the shuttle to our free hotel we talked and lot about her science (1) and the Mosquito borne dangers including the fearful Zika virus. I told her about my family sending me all manner of scary reports - and how I made it clear the North American regions were closer to the main current threat - by sending them data on Florida considering a way to eliminate all mosquitoes from the food chain. She knew about other places this had been done but did not know of any major studies about what effect this would have on the whole ecosystem. Here is a little to consider. "Mosquitoes seem like a prime candidate for eradication. Beneath their merely pesky appearance lies a disease-spreading agent, responsible for transmitting Zika virus and dengue but also chikungunya, West Nile virus, yellow fever and malaria." http://www.marketwatch.com/story/you...MW_latest_news

The hotel was a five star hotel of very modern conveniences and technology. The morning offered a free breakfast buffet and I was scheduled to be taken back to the airport about two the next day. When I heard the people on TV briefly mention they knew China had a near 2 and a half million year culture I thought - Maybe finally we could start to break the hold of the Cradle of Civilization or Colonial History we are force fed.

"Programmed To KILL"

Siem Reap airport is small and quaint with none of the mercantilism evident in big airports but the immigration visa games led to me choosing to pay an extra $20 tip to an officer of the Customs or Immigration branch of government. I have come to see the lack of government intrusion in many aspects of life here as a plus but this was not a good start.

The hotel or hostel I had chosen to stay at was a little way from the main sites or old town. The Tuk-Tuk driver stopped driving and tried to suggest or imply he did not know where it was or which hotel I wanted to go to. The Hotel site had said this might happen and I persevered. Many or all Tuk-Tuk drivers get kick backs and if you walk where you need to go your costs will be greatly diminished especially if you are getting dental work - which I learned can be far cheaper than you can possibly imagine. This first night turned into a bad experience and I thought maybe I should have listened to the Tuk-Tuk driver. The shower/bathroom was even worse that the horror show it appeared to be when I first looked at it. The lack of toilet paper was later joined by mosquitoes biting me as I tried to sleep. Remember I had done research on this matter and it was a major fear I had. A large lizard was in the shower/bathroom the next morning as I tried to freshen up it was probably a big chameleon but by this time I was determined to get out and go downtown.

It was still quite early when I went to the lobby and found a man from Australia who knew a lot about travel in Cambodia. He somewhat set my mind at ease about infections during the dry season - which I had not known it was. The pools of water in ditches I had passed in the darkness did not seem to confirm this but he assured me he knew about a good place I would enjoy called the Yellow Hostel. The topic turned to my research and he had strong opinions about the origin of people in Australia which related to the work of Heyerdahl and Martin Doutre. He felt I was being "very speculative" when I connected the Hobbit to million year old evidences and that the Hobbit may have walked to Flores Island. I did not get upset or say "So what?" - which I was feeling. I am used to people who learn all they care to know and simply stop learning in order to get on with doing what they enjoy. There is nothing wrong with this, but deprecating research and going along with lies rather than questioning things does leave openings for bad results.

An archaeologist named Ms. Moore is one source I cover in my books. She took aerial photos or GPR shots and found a much older temple complex and city not all that far from Angkor Wat. A little further away in an area now called Vietnam there is an archaeological site called Lingam and Yoni - in the hotel I am staying at there is a bas relief art panel which has the penis tip Lingam and Yoni lotus flower petals highlighted. No mention of these things or Gunung Padang in the Asia History Channel report addressing the Indonesia temples from the fifth century AD - or where those people came from (Near the present day Great Wall of China - see Mummies of Urumchi according to my research.).

They then went on about the racist monkey people and Lord Rama fiction such as floated in the Sri Lankan bridge hoax by Hindus and conspiracy theorists like Jeff Rense. This program covered the three divisions of energy in the world around us as a sort of Heaven and Hell analogy rather than male, female and spirit or soul. There are other meanings and symbols or representations this relates to including the Tree of Life (Yggdrasil) found around this planet they could try to explain. History channel never has credible sources or actual quotes but strings together entertaining lies. By maintaining confusion and not developing a history based on far more ancient humanity proven over the last century we are continuing to carry forward colonial or imperialistic academic agendas. Humans who believe in anything completely are not wise and man has had wisdom acquisition techniques from the time we were apes.

You might wonder why I am going on about the History Channel if you have not seen their promotions for a soon to be released program titled Programmed to Kill. These promos rand with many apocalypse or fear-mongering mind control initiatives from the Dark Ages. I guess some people will say it is not much different than the sensationalism which fundies in the American political venues eat up or the History Channel and other Alien programming. 'Whatever sells' or 'whatever works' should be their motto. But is there not any concern for the effect that such fear-mongering will have on the tourists who make up the lifeblood of growth for places like Cambodia?

Biblio and References:

1) Clyde Winters has a wealth of information available through his site. His insight and academic knowledge is most enlightening but unfortunately it may take centuries to be accepted. I especially hope you can read his thoughts on the discourse and cultural interplay with Urumchi (Tocharian is also like Luwian of Crete and maybe off Cuba) and the Tamil regions.

http://olmec98.academia.edu/CWinters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zrEpNIAXGM

2) http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/2...1AB0B0B4A1B98B
    Last edited by R_Baird; 05-20-2016 at 07:25 PM.