Thread: De-volution in America

De-volution in America

There is no need to point to other places where ignorance is more rampant (like the Holy Land). There is no need to quibble about how little science is certain about, because science always tries to disprove and re-prove or OBSERVE - or it is supposed to.

There is no great need to add lists of examples of the extent to which we are accepting NONsense and going backwards.

"Charles Darwin’s signature discovery—first published 155 years ago and validated a million different ways since—long ago ceased to be a matter for serious debate in most of the world. But in the United States, reconciling science and religious belief remains oddly difficult. A national poll, conducted in March for the Associated Press, found that 42 per cent of Americans are “not too” or “not at all” confident that all life on Earth is the product of evolution. Similarly, 51 per cent of people expressed skepticism that the universe started with a “big bang” 13.8 billion years ago, and 36 per cent doubted the Earth has been around for 4.5 billion years.

The American public’s bias against established science doesn’t stop where the Bible leaves off, however. The same poll found that just 53 per cent of respondents were “extremely” or “very confident” that childhood vaccines are safe and effective. (Worldwide, the measles killed 120,000 people in 2012. In the United States, where a vaccine has been available since 1963, the last recorded measles death was in 2003.) When it comes to global warming, only 33 per cent expressed a high degree of confidence that it is “man made,” something the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has declared is all but certain. (The good news, such as it was in the AP poll, was that 69 per cent actually believe in DNA, and 82 per cent now agree that smoking causes cancer.)

If the rise in uninformed opinion was limited to impenetrable subjects that would be one thing, but the scourge seems to be spreading. Everywhere you look these days, America is in a rush to embrace the stupid. Hell-bent on a path that’s not just irrational, but often self-destructive. Common-sense solutions to pressing problems are eschewed in favour of bumper-sticker simplicities and blind faith.

In a country bedevilled by mass shootings—Aurora, Colo.; Fort Hood, Texas; Virginia Tech—efforts at gun control have given way to ever-laxer standards. Georgia recently passed a law allowing people to pack weapons in state and local buildings, airports, churches and bars. Florida is debating legislation that will waive all firearm restrictions during state emergencies like riots or hurricanes. (One opponent has moved to rename it “an Act Relating to the Zombie Apocalypse.”) And since the December 2012 massacre of 20 children and six staff at Sandy Hook Elementary School, in Newtown, Conn., 12 states have passed laws allowing guns to be carried in schools, and 20 more are considering such measures.

The cost of a simple appendectomy in the United States averages $33,000 and it’s not uncommon for such bills to top six figures. More than 15 per cent of the population has no health insurance whatsoever. Yet efforts to fill that gaping hole via the Affordable Health Care Act—a.k.a. Obamacare—remain distinctly unpopular. Nonsensical myths about the government’s “real” intentions have found so much traction that 30 per cent still believe that there will be official “death panels” to make decisions on end-of-life care."

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/america-dumbs-down/
    Last edited by R_Baird; 01-05-2016 at 12:04 AM.

The authors of the above article might have a few biases of their own and might not even question authority or do much thinking themself. We could all agree that talking to other people who have fixed opinions and who have no interest in learning is more disturbing to intellectuals than it is to those who never attempted to think and just look for 'easy answers' or whatever works (Makes money or gains sexual advantage). Maybe there are some people who honestly believe they speak to g_d - it was not long ago Americans elected someone who said they got 'direction from a higher authority' and I am not sure that he was just appealing to his fundamentalist demographic because he was holding a book upside down on TV when 9-11 was in progress. Of course we all know how smart many other government officials were that day, but I do not think American media has done as good a job exposing their stupidity during that event and it's subsequent handling, as CBC's Passionate Eye did. Why is that?

Why are Alien theory shows so popular, along with Atlantis, and political debates with no political platforms ever addressing what our future holds? I used to watch Sunday morning shows rather than cartoons but now it hurts my head to see more "Testifying" fence posts and apocalyptic fear-mongering. They still maintain they know the age of rocks and sing Rock of Ages as they fleece each other and screw every woman they can (Swaggart, et all). The pedophiles get to avoid paying court awarded damages, and also are still not paying taxes. Some of these cretins are allowed to kidnap and use brainwashing techniques like overt hypnosis, all of them do it to some degree.

What me worry? It is the very best place to live, with total freedom and democratic principles that protects the whole world against bad people everywhere. If you do not believe that just ask ten Americans on any street corner.

You might enjoy knowing how humans came into being.

" Yet the WBTS also teaches that only the archangel Michael’s life was transferred to Mary’s womb. So because they teach that creatures in heaven have spiritual bodies [albeit intangible] we must ask what does such transferral of life mean? Was the spirit person’s body also transferred or was it left lifeless in heaven?....

ANALOGY

As an analogy consider that if someone removes a car engine from say a Nissan Micra and has it fitted into a Rolls Royce does one still have a genuine Rolls Royce? Absolutely not!! It is a very substandard hybrid Rolls Royce/Micra. So if a powerful spirit creature existed in heaven and then was transferred to the womb of a human woman, he still carries with him the spirit equivalent of DNA which is then hybridized with human genetics and so is sub-standard in all respects rather than his being the perfect human that is detailed in the Scriptures. It is no good for Jehovah’s Witnesses to claim that they view Jesus as 100% human because that does not fit with their presentation of a scenario in which a pre-existent spirit is reformed in the womb of a human. Again please note the impossibility of transferring a personality without its body."
    [/COLOR]
    http://www.biblicaltruthseekers.co.u...LLY-MEAN-2.pdf
    Last edited by R_Baird; 03-02-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Does teaching creationism and Armageddon instill a sense of entitlement to psychopathy in some people? You should study the relationship between family abuse and evangelicals more than just what you know from all the guys going to jail who once had TV shows or were respected Bishops and the like.

The effect of the extremist religions in the US cannot be measured by how many of them bomb abortion clinics or go into the armed forces to add to their issues and become serial rapists with the legal knowledge to escape prosecution as a Canadian documentary on CBC showed. It is best measured by what is still taught in schools, or shown in every media outlet.

"Tea Party and the Right

10 of the Worst Terror Attacks by Extreme Christians and Far-Right White Men

Most of the terrorist activity in the U.S. in recent years has come not from Muslims, but from radical Christianists, white supremacists and far-right militia groups.

http://www.alternet.org/tea-party-an...ight-white-men

Since no one has been prosecuted (other than payment of fines or payola) for the financial crisis does that mean (Like Trump and his four bankruptcies) that we are in the age of total corruption? OOPS - we have been there for a very many centuries if not at least three millennia. Wouldn't it be nice to turn over the enforcement of these matters to robots who could not be bought off? Maybe that is why we will be safe from all robots that could do all of our jobs. I don't think a connection will be made - people on top will get what they want and people on the bottom will get what they deserve - because they do not DO any study or insist on real plans.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bethan...233806072.html
    Last edited by R_Baird; 03-13-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Would many Americans prefer common sense to be part of the schooling of our children? Would you say sense is common at all? If so - when? It might have been common amongst the elite voters (no women or blacks or poor to speak of) when America began it's awesome ascent founded upon the genocide and robbery of prior peoples we call Indians. Paine was as responsible as Voltaire in taking on the concepts of Divine Rights and we need to re-assess the Nations now given those divine rights since the Treaty of Westphalia. The Kings and nobles used to have to perform some services and pay for the army or other involvements - today the elites who run nations get tax breaks or Congressional and State handouts for locating wherever they choose. Nations spy for their corporate sponsors and lobby groups. People are managed in ways they only begin to grasp.

Paine moved in a world that few people can imagine for one who had to travel on ships and not planes. His influence on both the French and American Revolution could be said to have been so great that you can easily say it was his plan - if you did not know about St. Germain and Voltaire. Then you must learn the extent to which others were similarly involved in esoteric groups like the Hellfire Club and alchemical or Hermetic training including Jefferson and Franklin. Jefferson supported Adam Weishaupt and Washington was a member of a Swedenborgian Church. The Rosicrucian Council of Three in America was Paine, Franklin and George Clymer. That is of course a very glossed over introduction covered in threads we already have.

Here is Paine's book titled The Age of Reason.

"IT has been my intention, for several years past, to publish my thoughts upon religion. I am well aware of the difficulties that attend the subject, and from that consideration, had reserved it to a more advanced period of life. I intended it to be the last offering I should make to my fellow-citizens of all nations, and that at a time when the purity of the motive that induced me to it, could not admit of a question, even by those who might disapprove the work.

The circumstance that has now taken place in France of the total abolition of the whole national order of priesthood, and of everything appertaining to compulsive systems of religion, and compulsive articles of faith, has not only precipitated my intention, but rendered a work of this kind exceedingly necessary, lest in the general wreck of superstition, of false systems of government, and false theology, we lose sight of morality, of humanity, and of the theology that is true.

As several of my colleagues and others of my fellow-citizens of France have given me the example of making their voluntary and individual profession of faith, I also will make mine; and I do this with all that sincerity and frankness with which the mind of man communicates with itself.

I believe in one God, and no more; and I hope for happiness beyond this life.

I believe in the equality of man; and I believe that religious duties consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endeavoring to make our fellow-creatures happy.

But, lest it should be supposed that I believe in many other things in addition to these, I shall, in the progress of this work, declare the things I do not believe, and my reasons for not believing them.

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.

I do not mean by this declaration to condemn those who believe otherwise; they have the same right to their belief as I have to mine. But it is necessary to the happiness of man, that he be mentally faithful to himself. Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe.

It is impossible to calculate the moral mischief, if I may so express it, that mental lying has produced in society. When a man has so far corrupted and prostituted the chastity of his mind, as to subscribe his professional belief to things he does not believe, he has prepared himself for the commission of every other crime. He takes up the trade of a priest for the sake of gain, and in order to qualify himself for that trade, he begins with a perjury. Can we conceive any thing more destructive to morality than this?

Soon after I had published the pamphlet Common Sense, in America, I saw the exceeding probability that a revolution in the system of government would be followed by a revolution in the system of religion. The adulterous connection of church and state, wherever it had taken place, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, had so effectually prohibited by pains and penalties, every discussion upon established creeds, and upon first principles of religion, that until the system of government should be changed, those subjects could not be brought fairly and openly before the world; but that whenever this should be done, a revolution in the system of religion would follow. Human inventions and priestcraft would be detected; and man would return to the pure, unmixed and unadulterated belief of one God, and no more."

http://www.ushistory.org/paine/reason/singlehtml.htm