Thread: Education - Mutual Instruction

Question Education - Mutual Instruction

The state of education as a mind control initiative and baby-sitting program continues unabated. We might some day not have forced attendance and view a whole new concept - the Joy of Learning. It would not have an end at some age or event and it would test a person before moving them along (mainstreaming). The whole focus on testing would evolve into competency verification so that continuing certification might prevent hacks who hack us apart (out of touch professionals) and limit the influence of lobby groups. But most importantly we have a societal need to develop morals and empathy rather than political correctness and homogenizing me-too thinking value systems. Of course the Joy of Learning was fostered in prior times and cultures but we are so much advanced (are we) that we only need to churn out more Wall Street politicos and ignorant conspiracy types.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~library/Li...g_Rumford.html.

From the link above, we have.

"Thompson's many innovations for helping the homeless and poor in Bavaria placed him among the pioneers in social reform. He established free schools for poor children, industrial schools, a college for veterinary surgeons, home industries, and off-duty work at extra pay for hitherto idle soldiers. He encouraged the planting of gardens, crop rotation, and the growing of food plants such as turnips and potatoes, until then considered poisonous by many Europeans. He designed and had built in Munich a beautiful 600-acre public English-style garden. In 1792, for all these contributions, the elector of Bavaria made Benjamin Thompson a count of the Holy Roman Empire. For his title, Thompson chose Rumford, the earlier name of Concord, where his fortunes had changed so dramatically. In addition to his social reforms, he found time to carry out many of the most important scientific studies and experiments for which he is justly famous, and he made numerous practical inventions such as kitchen stoves, roasting ovens, fireless cookers, and pots and pans of various designs, for example the dripolater coffeepot."

This man and what he did for all people is far more important than any US President's contribution - I agree with FDR.

When I may seem to be down on the Rothschild banksters, or ecclesiastical elites I am just as much against those who necessitate such behavior. That includes ignorant conspiracy theorists who maintain they have an inalienable right to bear arms and children. The Cabots and the Lodges made a lot of money through mining coal and such with slave laborers from Ireland - and that is bad; but they also did great things when they fostered the Rumford Institute for Mutual Instruction which we see in this doctoral thesis. Mutual Instruction and making room for students to teach each other and co-operate rather than always competing is an ethic still largely missing from our schools.

https://dlib.bc.edu/islandora/object...tream/PDF/view

Here are some course suggestions and ideas to build upon. Howard Gardner's Learning styles research and brain mapping competency including chromic photography might make each person see their potential to improve at all times as well as learning how much other people differ and are the same.

new horizons from science, how to think and acquire wisdom, bhakti and tantra, chit system, co-operative learning, comparative religion, competency verification, ecumenicism, equality issues, gifted engaging, harmonic appreciation and the logos, healing through love, herbal remedies, increase morality, joy of learning, mainstreaming, on line interactive, reduce lobbying, sex and responsibility, sexual dynamics, testing industry, wellness, wholism, yoga and reiki shiatsu etc, principles of philosophic potential - magian to music, parenting the wonder child within, curriculum development and student participation, home study, testing out of multiple competencies ahead of age group, social enhancing techniques

Maybe by 2020 when HAARP and SDI satellites are integrated with Pine Gap and other Omega Stations as well as the Frequency Fence they won't need to implant people in order to achieve effects akin to mind control. It might be the only way to stop extremists of all manner including serial rapists and suicide bombers. The issue still left is soul - and what it is in relation to consciousness. That is why I agreed with Bill Joy in his March 2000 Wired Magazine article wherein he disagreed with Hillis who looks forward to dumping himself into a sentient robot. I accept brain contents have been dumped onto a computer chip since SRI did it in 1999. I know they have been working on this stuff for centuries if not millennia.

Some adepts have had mind control methods including possessions since the days of shamanic Dream Dancers over a million years ago. Religions have inculcated their sheople for a long time and some have even succeeded in taking over or cracking a soul (see L. Ron Hubbard). I still say the soul is not so easy to take over and consciousness exists in each atom of our self and selves. So as the Mayan saying goes "Do not put yourself in front of your SELF."
    Last edited by R_Baird; 01-12-2016 at 07:46 AM.

Our teachers are at the forefront of both change and repressive paradigm engineering. If you can think back to a good teacher who uplifted the life of every child and knew a philosophy of abundant hope and wisdom - you are truly fortunate. It could happen as easy as taking back the government's right to maintain curriculum conformity, and allowing or mandating various approaches; and allowing the children to choose which teacher to learn from. Those teachers would have internet followers and full classrooms. The administration would have to use the other teachers who fumble along selling what they were told was educational, as security guards and janitors; if this was first done on a trial basis of one school per city and the doors were open to adults seeking spiritual growth. Eventually the wisdom dispensers would earn more than the schlepp slingers. The long debated chit system would make a teacher with a large following rich; great charismatic teachers would spring up and fewer frauds in spiritual and religious groups would also come to pass. No doubt it would take some refinement and continued legal or other changes.

There are a whole lot of emotions involved in entitlement thinking and society needs to address it BEFORE sending out the police. It won't likely be in church or at homes, where the problems are as apparent as in legislatures. So we must hope teachers can do this without authority to change curriculums. Thankfully it takes only one or two teachers in every school to get some traction in the discourse between kids. As you read what this good doctor has to say I beg you to apply it to all matters considered inalienable; guns, borders, religious freedoms etc..

"“It's My Right to Be Happy!”

Lewis’ statement reflected an underlying belief about entitlement that was now threatening the survival of his relationship with Laura. During their three-year marriage he had often felt disappointed with her, and his frustration finally reached a boiling point. His recent anger outburst toward Laura prompted her to call the police. The two policemen who responded did not seem to be impressed with Lewis’ effort to defend his anger with the explanation “It’s my right to be happy.” After evaluating the situation the policemen discussed with him the need for self-control, warned him about the potential for violence, and encouraged him to pursue professional counseling. Another trip to their residence would probably result in his arrest. To get rid of the policemen Lewis promised to seek professional help although he knew that he would never carry through with the promise, simply because he was not the real problem. He believed that Laura was the one who was failing to do what she should do to make him happy through accommodating and satisfying what he wanted. Her treatment of him seemed unfair, and he was not happy.

During the three-year marriage Laura’s frustration level also continued to escalate. She was growing weary of Lewis’ unrealistic expectations and the double standards he set up for their relationship. She knew that their relationship was very unhealthy, but her efforts to get Lewis to work on the marriage had been fruitless and futile. From her perspective Lewis was blind to his entitlement mindset that fed his self-centered attitude and selfish actions. Tragically, both spouses felt hopeless and saw little happiness in the future of their relationship. In their marital journey Lewis and Laura had collided with the Entitlement Roadblock.

When Laura first met Lewis she was not aware that he was traveling through life on the Entitlement Highway. Like his co-travelers Lewis believed that he possessed an inalienable right to happiness regardless of personal effort or life’s circumstances. Because of his entitlement mindset he frequently felt frustrated and angry as people and circumstances were not cooperative with his expectations and requirements. Driven by his inner belief system Lewis continued to create suffering for himself and for everyone with whom he had a personal relationship."

http://drbillbaker.com/index.php?opt...=11&Itemid=489

Co-dependency and enabling issues can be addressed before they become debilitating, often we will need to bring parents in for re-education and personal coaching.

The next author is addressing a whole host of issues near and dear to my heart. I like to think I have taken what some detractors have labelled 'conspiracy theory' into a new realm. I consider this genre to be Progressive and liberal both politically and scientifically. It does not cringe from facts but prioritizes possible actions and seeks pragmatic plans. First step being informing oneself and our 'brothers'. Father de Chardin called it a "Conspiracy of Love". There are many actual conspiracy theorists who work for the behemoth and get good money from their sheople or the government. I would want to see video stations or wall projectors making movies like The Elephant Man, Birth of a Nation, Atomic Cafe and Reefer Madness available - maybe detention could be an opportunity to get people interested in things they presently feel they have no interest in. Would there be detention classes if students only came to classes they wanted to take and no one was bored to be in?

http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/manipulation/

This discussion is part of a favorite movie of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om8oNnETbNo

This link and website introduction makes it sound like consciousness can be proven in a mechanistic scientific manner and some day that might be true. It has always been part of mystical knowledge and part of the metaphysicist's approach to think of the universe and each part of it as connected. The Buddhists say "All is within, the universe." I am not convinced that consciousness studies have accelerated enough to claim this level of certainty. Futurescape is saying they have machines that will allow control of the collective human mind or World Mind. I understand how they are going to do that and I have laid out the history of their efforts to that end. THAT does not mean they will succeed - and I hope they don't or that they only succeed to a degree which makes some sense.

http://iamniverse.com/consciousnessmechanics.html

Some social scientists make a very good point about the purpose of education in our recent history when they note the Industrial Revolution sought workers to punch time clocks and follow the bosses and their minion's orders. The homogenization of memorization being the key to learning assumes something worse than what isn't in evidence. It is not evident that linear logical processes or competency in memory skills is paramount to the functioning character development of productive people. In fact we have ample reason to limit these skills now that hand held or wristwatch sized data bases are able to connect to near total knowledge networks. Forgetting that important point, we must understand what education and teaching really is supposed to achieve. Simple common sense alone would indicate a high priority should exist in the augmentation of interest in learning and the joys it may offer a person throughout their life.

Co-operative and social integrational skills teaching are well enough developed in the science of education and should be given more support. In Canada the word 'co-operative' is used but the purposes of learning style and personality differences aren't known by the teachers who think co-operative learning means some kind of teamwork between teachers, students and parents. Group dynamics within the student's core appreciation of purpose and relating to each other is more the point. Seeing the benefits of a good creative spatial competency in another person within the group and learning the most important things are useful creative outputs rather than some goal established by someone outside the group, might have more merit. The compassionate diplomatic and purposeful ethic of net additional value rather than homogenized adherence to hypocritical unquestioned pablum with frequent prejudicial or egoistically infused judgement needs support.

Celebration of relevant new approaches that offer explorations of new perspectives without a sense of black and white answers are seldom found and the character seems to be judged according to how well we imitate or fit the prevailing 'norm'. How can we maintain a desire to explore that is born into the human core courage to know something more than the personal? When will knowing how to cope with sexual, sensual psychological nurturing and other life skills including how to make each other healthier become valued? The old emphasis on individuals enjoying each others different character becomes lost in a maze of peer and social structure. Is it possible that people will learn to read and communicate at different times in their life? Recent research shows that men learn math best, later than women. Language and communication engages the young brain more fully and should be focused upon at the ages before seven. The Bardic schools knew these things and had young people work as jesters and minstrels early in the process. Physiologically we can say there are 350,000 neural connections possible that become atrophied to the point most people use only half of them. What about thinking? It isn't dumping of data - it requires integrating and making judgments.
    Last edited by R_Baird; 01-12-2016 at 07:42 AM.

If you have a child you would take a bullet for - as the Esquire article following, suggests. And you are not a suicidal drug-user yourself who has already been mind-phucked by having drugs pushed down your throat, as many people I tried to help have been. Why don't you do something to the terrorists? You would probably do something if a terrorist attacked your family or you were asked to go to war to protect your family from a boogey man who has also been mind-phucked. Does any of this sound like 1984 by George Orwell? Do you remember thinking when you read that good and prophetic book that YOU would do something? These terrorists have a 'smiling face' and tell you they are trying to help your kid. As the song says - 'smiling faces, tell lies, they don't tell the truth'. Ronald Reagan was right to observe that the scariest thing you'll ever hear is
    "I'm from the government and here to help you."
    "Imagine you have a six-year-old son. A little boy for whom you are responsible. A little boy you would take a bullet for, a little boy in whom you search for glimpses of yourself, and hope every day that he will turn out just like you, only better. A little boy who would do anything to make you happy. Now imagine that little boy—your little boy—alone in his bed in the night, eyes wide with fear, afraid to move, a frightening and unfamiliar voice echoing in his head, afraid to call for you. Imagine him shivering because he hasn't eaten all day because he isn't hungry. His head is pounding. He doesn't know why any of this is happening.

Now imagine that he is suffering like this because of a mistake. Because a doctor examined him for twelve minutes, looked at a questionnaire on which you had checked some boxes, listened to your brief and vague report that he seemed to have trouble sitting still in kindergarten, made a diagnosis for a disorder the boy doesn't have, and wrote a prescription for a powerful drug he doesn't need.

If you have a son in America, there is an alarming probability that this has happened or will happen to you."

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...ican-boy-0414/

Don't believe for an instant that ADHD is the only label you will face in your own life or that of those you love. The government in Canada has authored TV programs saying ECT is like a pacemaker for the brain and it re-starts the natural biorhythms for old people.

I have made a big deal out of Howard Gardner's research on learning styles and why we should determine the skill set of the student's brain in order to assist in maximizing their potential - for society and their spiritual sense of well-being. It is possible to use a multi-sensory teaching approach because most people have elements of each learning style - and then focus on the specifics once the brain has more fully developed around the age of eight (maybe earlier for girls).

Krishnamurti understood how important education is and how bad it has been. His institute continues his good work and has these words to say about teaching to assist rather than prevent learning for many people who acquire wisdom through different areas of strength or processes.

"Often children with specific difficulties get labeled as 'slow learners', a term that tends to be used rather inaccurately. If the child with a difficulty were to be taught using his dominant learning mode, the child would probably respond as quickly as, or quicker than his peers. In considering the child's difficulty, it is a 'condition' which can be surmounted comfortably, provided remedial help is delivered in the right manner at the right time.

In general, if our educational pattern incorporated extensive multisensory teaching strategies, and similarly, accepted work from students in modes other than visual, these children would have a much better opportunity to cope with the curriculum. For example, a child who has difficulty writing due to problems with motor coordination should be allowed to give tests and examinations orally, much like a viva voce."

http://www.journal.kfionline.org/iss...g-difficulties

This video will re-inforce the need for an end to the specialized torture called mainstreaming and trying to fit round pegs into square holes.

https://www.facebook.com/Dyslexic.Ki...50174448445472
    Last edited by R_Baird; 01-24-2016 at 07:52 AM.

Horace Mann got it right when he said "School is the cheapest police."

But that can be good if the society was moral and common consent laws existed as was the case with the Brehon Laws before the existence of Empire and nations. (Divine Rights therein)

This guy gets my brand of revisionist history - though with a far more humorous bent and of much more recent investigations.

http://www.culturewars.com/2008/Broo...entialism.html

"Rather than seeing the speech as a denigration of education in America (which, of course, it was), I saw it as praise of America’s bars or at least as praise of Fiddler’s Hearth, the Irish pub in South Bend where I play regularly. Fiddler’s Hearth has done more to resurrect local culture than the combined budgets of every school district within a hundred mile radius of where we live.

But even more than that, Sam’s speech was a tribute to his mother, who taught him how to read, and compute and do all the other things for which the education establishment in Indiana gets paid millions of dollars, so much money, in fact, that public schooling is currently in the process of bankrupting both the state and local economies. And Sam’s mother did it all for nothing."

I recall a few years ago my lifelong significant other who was a member of the Indiana State Teacher's Retirement Board told me she was being sued because of their funding problems. I have intimate knowledge of the state of education in Indiana and I often marked the teacher tests - to find how true it is that teachers in the US and Canada are largely illiterate.

These insights to my main muse could benefit many people if they really tried to think or question.

.. tends to the view that virtue is knowledge and vice is ignorance. Socrates takes a particular virtue and tries to find its essence by giving a general definition of it. He produces syllogistic arguments, that is, arguments where two premises when put together necessitate a new proposition, the conclusion.
    (Urmson, The Concise Encyclopedia of Western Philosophy and Philosophers, 1991, p299)

He impresses us, more than any other figure in literature, with the supreme importance of thinking as well as possible and making our actions conform to our thoughts. To this end he preaches knowledge of one's own starting-points, hypothetical entertainment of opinions, exploration of their consequences and connexions, willingness to follow argument wherever it leads, public confession of one's thoughts, invitation to others to criticize, readiness to reconsider, and at the same time firm action in accordance with one's present beliefs. (Urmson, The Concise Encyclopedia of Western Philosophy and Philosophers, 1991, p301)
    Last edited by R_Baird; 01-31-2016 at 01:02 AM.

EDUCATION AS HYPE (POLITICS): - Just a brief entry on a highly complex subject that deserves whole books which I have written about extensively. The ex-NHL goalie and Ralph Nader lawyer by the name of Ken Dryden wrote a book called In School. The back flap of it has this tidbit for your consideration:

"Ken Dryden tackles what he sees as the education debate's retreat to a safe, unthinking - and ultimately - black and white ground of issues and policies at the expense of people. Ultimately he discovers that good teachers teach people and not just subjects." (16)

One of the most taught AGAINST things has to do with the soul. I think comparative religion and Yoga should be taught.

EGO - ALTER: - The whole field of academia and education owes a great debt to individuals like Jacquetta Hawkes and her second husband J. B. Priestly. The next little quote is a great insight into their personal beliefs taken from a Reader's Digest publication.

"The English novelist J. B. Priestly, who is married to the well-known archaeologist Jacquetta Hawkes, related this experience to Arthur Koestler in a letter dated February 7, 1972:

'My wife bought three large lithographs by Graham Sutherland. When they arrived here from London she took them up to her bedroom, to hang them up in the morning. They were leaning against a chair and the one on the outside, facing the room, was a lithograph of a grasshopper. When Jacquetta got into bed that night, she felt some sort of twittering movement going on, so she got out and pulled back the clothes. There was a grasshopper in the bed. No grasshopper had been seen since. No grasshopper has been seen at any time in this house. ('Research in Parapsychology', W.G. Roll, R.L. Morris, and J. D. Morris, eds. p. 209)" (17)
    Of course many parents can't question the authorities and they never learned how to research, read with comprehension or think. Guess what they do? They give their kids Ritalin even if they have to buy it on the gray market, street, or internet. Maybe they get a package deal alongside the drugs they use to self-medicate.

"Pushy parents are giving healthy children Ritalin bought on the Internet in an attempt to boost their exam performance, a leading psychologist claimed.

They believe the potent hyperactivity drug will prolong their children's concentration at school, while studying at home and in the exam hall itself.

But they are risking serious health complications ranging from inadvertent over-dosing to sleeplessness and loss of appetite, warned Paul Cooper, professor of education at Leicester University.

There is also no way of checking whether drugs bought over the Internet are counterfeit.

Professor Cooper, a chartered psychologist, made his claims in a speech over the growing use of so-called "smart drugs" to enhance children's performance in the classroom.

Ritalin is prescribed to treat those with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, which is characterised by an inability to focus on specific tasks.

The drug helps increase alertness and improve aspects of concentration and memory.

But Professor Cooper believes growing numbers of parents are administering it to children themselves without a diagnosis from a doctor.

They may be concerned their children are bored, restless or distracted and convince themselves they could benefit from Ritalin treatment.

His warning comes at a time of mounting concern over levels of exam stress faced by pupils amid intense competition for top grades and places at elite universities.

He said: "We are moving into a phase now where informed parents can bypass the medical profession, go online and prescribe the drug themselves.

"I have anecdotal evidence a number of parents in this country have done it. I know of three parents who have done this in one state secondary school alone. If that is just one school, it is being replicated on a massive scale.

"If parents are prepared to put their lives into turmoil by moving house to be near a good school or lying about where they live, why not also use drugs? It seems educational attainment at any cost is desirable."

He added that some parents may believe their children need extra time in exams because of mild ADHD but have been unable to gain a diagnosis.

Emboldened by marketing claims Ritalin is safe, they are prepared to order the medication themselves from online drug stores.
    "My personal view is that any claim these heavy-duty psychotropic drugs are safe has to be questionable," he said."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...exam-time.html

How much of what gets diagnosed as ADHD or Asperger's is actually a function of boredom or students who are far past worry about marks and the brainwashing attendant with school? Would they benefit from interactive teaching programs such as this? https://projecteuler.net/
    Last edited by R_Baird; 02-14-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Here we see many people who saw how much group learning can aid real wisdom acquisition but it was curtailed when computers showed so much promise. I say a mix of both will work better than either one on it's own. From Wikipedia we have.

"In 1969 and 1970 Postman collaborated with New Rochelle educator Alan Shapiro on the development of a model school based on the principles expressed in Teaching as a Subversive Activity. The result was the "Program for Inquiry, Involvement, and Independent Study" within New Rochelle High School.[9] This "open school" experiment survived for 15 years. In subsequent years many programs following these principles were developed in American high schools, current survivors include the Village School[10] in Great Neck, New York.

In a television interview conducted in 1995 on the MacNeil/Lehrer Hour Postman spoke about his opposition to the use of personal computers in schools. He felt that school was a place to learn together as a cohesive group and that it should not be used for individualized learning. Postman also worried that the personalized computer was going to take away from individuals socializing as citizens and human beings.[11]

As an education theorist and writer, Postman is closely associated with other critics and commentators including John Holt, Ivan Illich, Paul Goodman, George Dennison, Jonathan Kozol, Herbert Kohl, James Herndon, Charles E. Silberman, John Taylor Gatto, and others.[citation needed]"

In addition to teaching for the optimal result for each separate learning style and the ability to enhance the weaker elements of other attributes each person has, we can also teach better skills for dyslexics leading to what this person calls a cure (as if that is needed).

http://www.pathtoreading.com/contact.htm

Using computers in the classroom is about to take a quantum leap forward. The use of robots as companions is already underway in caring for the elderly in Japan and Singapore. There is a great deal more that will soon be done by robots - which with proper planning is a good thing. Put a cattle prod in it's arms and maybe it could teach a boring curriculum designed to make humans into robots, eh?

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/27/

For a list of quotes demonstrating the agenda(s) behind testing as well as the culpability of certain liars read this compendium of simple quotes. My favorite is from a tester who never read tests - guess what he looked for? Race, sex, or religion?

http://www.nomoretests.com/quotes.php
    Last edited by R_Baird; 02-24-2016 at 07:10 PM.