Thread: The Isiac Tablet of Cardinal Bembo

The Isiac Tablet of Cardinal Bembo

Do I think this artifact of unknown origin is important to Tarot as many proclaim? Not particularly, but some artists drew connective pictures on the cards because many adepts or those considered to be esoteric geniuses have said it is. Do I attribute it to Egypt - and in what era I would ask - no. Do I say it is Roman or of that place where a Cardinal might be found? No! Definitely not, unless there is factual and proven interior reason within the words or pictures and art that cannot be forged by Romans in any era. If it was something the common folk might be moved to believe more in a divine Caesar or someone a Caesar can speak for and thus make himself the interpreter for a divine creature; then first century Rome might be a good guess, but they were very busy refining other myths at that time. I see the three realms of far earlier cosmogonies than any written religion and obviously it was designed to influence the primary and secondary forces and be held in high regard. The fact that it is made from bronze and enamel does not mean it was made in the time academics attribute to those discoveries - because secret knowledge and academia do not often agree or even agree to disagree. That is why it is esoteric and arcane or occulted.

The circle within a square multiplied by four is a powerful mandala and collector of energy as well as an amplifier (see aten disc, mark of Qayin or Cain, etc.). The rose will be considered a Rose Croix and it might go back to the Great White Brotherhood but the knowledge grew from long before that, in the 2nd millennium BCE.. I am no expert on it, and Manly Hall says things about it that certainly deserve more thought, on my part.

"The Isiac Tablet is of Bronze, the designs are inlaid upon its upper surface, and are composed partly of silver and partly of a dark coloured enamel, which has somewhat the tint of steel (niello work). Some portions of the silver ornamentation are missing, perhaps they have been removed by force for their intrinsic value, during the turbulent Middle Ages, although it is possible they may have become loosened and lost by accidental violence.

Around the whole Tablet is a border of small designs, or Limbus, as Kircher called it; at each corner is a many-petalled rose-like flower, these divide the Limbus into four portions; two vertical, a right and left, and superior and inferior portions. Within this border there are three principal horizontal divisions; the Upper and Lower Regions are of equal depth, the Central Region is deeper and is further subdivided.

The Upper Region presents Twelve principal erect human figures, and several smaller designs. {The "Known twelve were they" In the words of Donovan from a song of my youth called 'Hail Atlantis', come to mind. Is it the chakras inside and outside the body, astrological houses?}

The Lower Region presents Twelve principal more or less human figures, of whom two, the second and eleventh, are standing in porticoes; and two others are seated, the fifth and the eighth; there are also interspersed among these, several smaller figures; as a boy; a dog-headed human figure, a cat, a bird, and other curious mystic designs.

The Central Region presents a Middle Grand Scene, extending over two-thirds of the whole length, consisting of a Throned Female under a Canopy, on each side of her is a triad. Each triad consists of a Seated figure, a human attendant and a winged human figure; there are also two birds in each lateral scene. At each extremity of this Grand Scene are placed designs somewhat similar to each other; each consists of an upper compartment, representing a Bull with two attendants, and a lower portion representing two female figures, one on each side of a Nameless object, whose formation can be better grasped by sight than from description.

Between the Upper and Lower Regions runs a narrow line of Hieroglyphics, this does not appear in the Photogravure, which from its necessarily reduced size, would have rendered them illegible; and within the Limbus runs all round a narrow design of wavy lines, with occasional small flowers, vases, phalli; and masks or faces interspersed.

The Letters which appear on the Photogravure do not belong to the Tablet; they are the reference marks adopted by Kircher in his scheme of explanation: most unfortunately the equally excellent plate given by Pignorius has a different set of reference letters. The only omission from the Photogravure is that of the series of very small designs on the plain border of the Central Canopy and its basement; these are all similar, and consist each one of a square, a circle within it, and within the circle four diameters dividing it into eight spaces."

http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/isi/index.htm

Any member of the Thoth/Hermes intellectual cadre of the first millennium BCE could have made it. In Greece and Egypt this group were called Imhotep/Asklepios and they became Gnostics and are related with all Magian orders over many millennia. But it could have been made at almost any time and the fact that a copy or the original is in Turin does not make me very confident it is not an elaborate hoax.
    Last edited by R_Baird; 03-30-2016 at 12:05 AM. Reason: add color