Thread: Universal Translator - wearable

Universal Translator - wearable

It would also have to develop the contextual meaning and intensity in the application of different words - though maybe it would be able to give this as an option one could save and later call back to do further interpretation.

In conversation it could possibly allow people to recall exactly what was said and do the depth evaluation to get to where people start to actually understand what another person - SPEAKING THE SAME LANGUAGE - might mean.

To BE or not TO BE, is there a question?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/2...uage-barriers?

Covey was a master collaborator whose techniques would immeasurably enhance co-operative learning as should be taught rather than linear logical methodologies based on puking up old ideas. Those old ideas helped make humanity more suitable for punching time clocks but there was a time when integrative learning and real rhetoric and performance skills made our social fabric more truthful. Imagine an extended family form of government and what it could achieve.

When I use the words co-operative learning I am referring to a wholistic approach top students with all learning styles sharing their perspectives and coming to understand each other and their own attributes or weaknesses. Each of us have a little of all the learning styles demonstrated by Harvard Professor Howard Gardner and can enhance them - rather than using our dominant mode to win in some woeful controlling or Nazi type of manipulative contest.

Covey's first book explained how to use the technique of active listening which is a great improvement on PROJECTION in the Freudian or Machiavellian mode of training. Consider the things he says in this little quote and step back from it for an hour or more - then recall what you initially thought or wrote down. You can start to see the way you manipulate your own self! That self can become more than yourself or ego. It can grasp the varied meanings and perspectives included in the saying "To be or NOT to be."

"When I say empathic listening, I am not referring to the techniques of "active" listening or "reflective" listening, which basically involve mimicking what another person says. That kind of listening is skill-based, truncated from character and relationships, and often insults those "listened" to in such a way. It is also essentially autobiographical. If you practice those techniques, you may not project your autobiography in the actual interaction, but your motive in listening is autobiographical. You listen with reflective skills, but you listen with intent to reply, to control, to manipulate.

When I say empathic listening, I mean listening with intent to understand. I mean seeking first to understand, to really understand. It's an entirely different paradigm. Empathic (from empathy) listening gets inside another person's frame of reference. You look out through it, you see the world the way they see the world, you understand their paradigm, you understand how they feel.

Empathy is not sympathy. Sympathy is a form of agreement, a form of judgment. And it is sometimes the more appropriate emotion and response. But people often feed on sympathy. It makes them dependent. The essence of empathic listening is not that you agree with someone; it's that you fully, deeply, understand that person, emotionally as well as intellectually.

Empathic listening involves much more than registering, reflecting, or even understanding the words that are said. Communications experts estimate, in fact, that only 10% of our communication is represented by the words we say. Another 30 percent is represented by our sounds, and 60% by our body language. In empathic listening, you listen with your ears, but you also, and more importantly, listen with your eyes and with your heart. You listen for feeling, for meaning. You listen for behavior. You use your right brain as well as your left. You sense, you intuit, you feel.

Empathic listening is so powerful because it gives you accurate data to work with. Instead of projecting your own autobiography and assuming thoughts, feelings, motives and interpretation, you're dealing with the reality inside another person's head and heart. You're listening to understand. You're focused on receiving the deep communication of another human soul."

http://www.fastcompany.com/1727872/u...ng-collaborate
    Last edited by R_Baird; 05-29-2016 at 05:57 PM.