Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Sacsayhuaman - Amazing Stonework
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sacsayhuaman - Amazing Stonework

Sacsayhuaman - Amazing Stonework

There are no other walls like these. They are different from Stonehenge, different from the Pyramids of the Egyptians and the Maya, different from any of the other ancient monolithic stone-works.

Originally there were three "walls" or "bulwarks" which foundations are still seen today; they are the most spectacular remains of that fabulous building that according to chroniclers did not have any comparison in the old world. They are three parallel walls built in different levels with lime-stones of enormous sizes; zigzagging walls that because of their appearance it is suggested that they represent the "teeth" of the puma's head that the complex represented. The boulders used for the first or lower levels are the biggest; there is one that is 8.5 m high (28 ft.) and weights about 140 metric tons. Those boulders classify the walls as being of cyclopean or megalithic architecture.

Some say that the walls are made of granite. I am confused now, since I have never seen them up close. I will say this, there seems to be a high degree of engineering expertise present and I for one do not see how anyone could say these grand walls were put up with stone age tools. I thing some Texas Aggies were present way back then and that is the level I see represented. As for the teeth thingy, I am thinking someone is trying to stretch the imagination a little too far. I wish scientists would leave the purposes out of the equations because it sure seems a stretch. I may the wrong.

Teeth of the Puma?

This old fort or whatever it is shows a massive amount of engineering expertise. But it is not like anything we know about. We need to read this giant artifact as a message and consider all the parameters before we give it the simplistic routine.

Travelbum Guest
    I remember the stones at Sacsayhuaman being limestone... but granite or limestone, it is an awesome site...its' very near Cusco and the architecture in Cusco is the same... step stones but much smaller.. designed to withstand earthquakes but I think the Cusco one are granite... can't remember but my hotel has walls like that...
    Last edited by Travelbum; 12-17-2010 at 12:34 PM.

I have not actually seen them but they look like granite rather than limestone. I once worked in engineering of highways and it does not look like any limestone I have ever seen. Most blocks are granite in the Peru area due to the abundance of the material and its longevity.

softe Guest
    I recently had the chance to visit Sacsayhuaman. I am an engineer from England and one of my colleagues is a Peruvian. It was he who invited me to this wonderful site. It is a treat to watch. I am not a history enthusiast but even then I found this site mesmerizing. Next year I have decided to visit this place again with my family.

If you have photos please post them

Softe, good to have you at the site. Looking forward to more information on your opinion of the engineering of that site.

its' very near Cusco and the architecture in Cusco is the same... step stones but much smaller.. designed to withstand earthquakes but I think the Cusco one are granite.

this was taken after the 1950 earthquake, that revealed the koricancha and amazing stonework that appears to have been deliberately hidden from view with less quality stonework.

same wall.

here's the front top of the koricancha ,this sort of work was not done by hammer stones and copper chisels ,how it was achieved and by who i have no idea ?
    ive done a tour of all the sites from Nazca to Puma Punka and if your intersted i will start a thread and share many photos and insights